C3 Edexcel Do I state Change of Sign AND continuous?? Watch

lordoftheties
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
when doing numerical methods questions there is often a part that wants you to prove that there's a root at a particular x-value. To do this I know I have to find the change of sign in y-values for an interval between that x-value and then state that because there is a change in sign AND F(X) IS CONTINUOUS, there is a root at that x-value. My issue is not knowing how f(x) is continuous, and whether saying its continuous applies to all such questions? Any help would be much appreciated.
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lordoftheties)
when doing numerical methods questions there is often a part that wants you to prove that there's a root at a particular x-value. To do this I know I have to find the change of sign in y-values for an interval between that x-value and then state that because there is a change in sign AND F(X) IS CONTINUOUS, there is a root at that x-value. My issue is not knowing how f(x) is continuous, and whether saying its continuous applies to all such questions? Any help would be much appreciated.
Just substitute the x value in. If it's a root you get 0.
lordoftheties
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
Just substitute the x value in. If it's a root you get 0.
That's the other type of question. Im referring to this kind (part c):Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 13.19.49.png
Views: 159
Size:  193.8 KB
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's the other type of question. Im referring to this kind (part c):Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 13.19.49.png
Views: 159
Size:  193.8 KB
Yes, you'd need to state continuity. Exponentials, sines, cosines, constant functions and polynomials are all continuous. Also, finitely adding, multiplying or composing continuous functions gives a continuous function so g(x) is continuous.
雷尼克
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes just always say "sign change, therefore root in the interval, given that f(x) is continuous"
lordoftheties
Rep:
?
(Original post by 雷尼克)
Yes just always say "sign change, therefore root in the interval, given that f(x) is continuous"
Im not sure if youre ALWAYS supposed to say continuous, the bold section of this part of the mark scheme for that question says something about not stating continuous...Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 14.10.12.png
Views: 107
Size:  68.1 KB
雷尼克
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im not sure if youre ALWAYS supposed to say continuous, the bold section of this part of the mark scheme for that question says something about not stating continuous...Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 14.10.12.png
That has nothing to do with 'continuous'... that part of the marking scheme is telling the examiner that it is an invalid method to continue the iterations.
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not talking about continuity. It's talking about substituting repeatedly into the difference equation from (b) to find bounds on \alpha.
lordoftheties
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
It's not talking about continuity. It's talking about substituting repeatedly into the difference equation from (b) to find bounds on \alpha.
Oh I see now. Thanks a lot guys.
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The function does have to be contiuous for this logic to work, but Edexcel don't expect you to say it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (49)
45.37%
Pro-humanity (59)
54.63%