Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    when doing numerical methods questions there is often a part that wants you to prove that there's a root at a particular x-value. To do this I know I have to find the change of sign in y-values for an interval between that x-value and then state that because there is a change in sign AND F(X) IS CONTINUOUS, there is a root at that x-value. My issue is not knowing how f(x) is continuous, and whether saying its continuous applies to all such questions? Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordoftheties)
    when doing numerical methods questions there is often a part that wants you to prove that there's a root at a particular x-value. To do this I know I have to find the change of sign in y-values for an interval between that x-value and then state that because there is a change in sign AND F(X) IS CONTINUOUS, there is a root at that x-value. My issue is not knowing how f(x) is continuous, and whether saying its continuous applies to all such questions? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Just substitute the x value in. If it's a root you get 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Just substitute the x value in. If it's a root you get 0.
    That's the other type of question. Im referring to this kind (part c):Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 13.19.49.png
Views: 100
Size:  193.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    That's the other type of question. Im referring to this kind (part c):Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 13.19.49.png
Views: 100
Size:  193.8 KB
    Yes, you'd need to state continuity. Exponentials, sines, cosines, constant functions and polynomials are all continuous. Also, finitely adding, multiplying or composing continuous functions gives a continuous function so g(x) is continuous.

ReputationRep:
    Yes just always say "sign change, therefore root in the interval, given that f(x) is continuous"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 雷尼克)
    Yes just always say "sign change, therefore root in the interval, given that f(x) is continuous"
    Im not sure if youre ALWAYS supposed to say continuous, the bold section of this part of the mark scheme for that question says something about not stating continuous...Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 14.10.12.png
Views: 70
Size:  68.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if youre ALWAYS supposed to say continuous, the bold section of this part of the mark scheme for that question says something about not stating continuous...Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 14.10.12.png
    That has nothing to do with 'continuous'... that part of the marking scheme is telling the examiner that it is an invalid method to continue the iterations.

ReputationRep:
    It's not talking about continuity. It's talking about substituting repeatedly into the difference equation from (b) to find bounds on \alpha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    It's not talking about continuity. It's talking about substituting repeatedly into the difference equation from (b) to find bounds on \alpha.
    Oh I see now. Thanks a lot guys.

ReputationRep:
    The function does have to be contiuous for this logic to work, but Edexcel don't expect you to say it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.