Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Physics AEA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing this tomorrow?

I found the past papers very very difficult so my hopes aren't too high, but should be a bit of a laugh if nothing else (ie my answers will be laughable)!

Good luck to anyone who has it.

ReputationRep:
    i'm taking this tomorrow aswell. i'm not too concered about it as it's not important for me, i'll jst try to enjoy it. ddnt really look at any past papers, the mark schemes r online so i'll jst check those.

ReputationRep:
    There's some dodgy questions (You are at a party and a friend says he cannot believe in all this 'particles' stuff. Explain how you would respond.) and some mental algebraic messing about, but otherwise just a hard slog really.

ReputationRep:
    That was just weird. Perhaps the examiners thought it was funny...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaphod)
    There's some dodgy questions (You are at a party and a friend says he cannot believe in all this 'particles' stuff. Explain how you would respond.) and some mental algebraic messing about, but otherwise just a hard slog really.
    Yeah I had that question on my mock. the other question on that paper, about radioactivity, I completely failed on. At least you can blag the more writing questions. Waffle and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    anyone actually taking the AEA seriously? its my last exam and i'm going to try to enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any copies of the past papers? Id be terribly interested to see one! Please PM me if you can help

ReputationRep:
    All of them except last year's is available on the CCEA website, www.ccea.org.uk. I would have sent you the 2003 one but I just gave it back to college the other day. Sorry.

I'm taking it seriously in that I'm going to try and answer the questions but I'm not working for it or worrying at all if I can't do them. It'd be nice to pass, but failing isn't going to disappoint me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking this today too. Since I totally squandered the Chem one yesterday I want to try and get at least a merit today, but this seems far harder.

As said earlier I will be trying to enjoy this too, being that it's my last exam too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this next year.

I'll show you how it's done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momentum)

hopefully you fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momentum)

lol

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from it. My last exam of all!
    It wasn't so bad I couldn't do any of it, but some of the 'prove these equation' questions were quite hard. I liked the one about boiling water with the power to stop a car, and the one where you explain to your snooty friend about quantum theory.
    I did not like so much the first question, about the magnetic fields.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it wasn't as bad as some of the questions on past papers. I had no idea where to start on that question where you had to derive an equation to find the speed of sound, that was just random. What did you get for the water boiling one? I got about 0.24kg.

ReputationRep:
    See what I meant about weird questions? :cool:

Yeah not a bad paper I didn't think, compared to some of the older ones. Unfortunately though I got something like 1200 kg of water, which is clearly wrong. What's the specific heat capacity of water?

(Original post by Zaphod)
    See what I meant about weird questions? :cool:

Yeah not a bad paper I didn't think, compared to some of the older ones. Unfortunately though I got something like 1200 kg of water, which is clearly wrong. What's the specific heat capacity of water?

ReputationRep:
    Well no wonder I got it wrong, I used 3.18 (not a clue why)! Thus making my answer about 1000 times what it should have been. Oops! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I found it ok, but couldn't do the second part of the speed-of-sound q, or the wind turbine (how the hell do you do that!?), or the explaining the changing Resistance of whatever of the semiconductor. Got 0.5kg of water for that estimation q.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joepbeng)
    I found it ok, but couldn't do the second part of the speed-of-sound q, or the wind turbine (how the hell do you do that!?), or the explaining the changing Resistance of whatever of the semiconductor. Got 0.5kg of water for that estimation q.
    Well I just assumed that all the wind hitting a circle of radius L transferred its kinetic energy to the blades, even though that patently isn't true. Got their answer however.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't too bad a paper overall. I used 4.18 for the specific heat capacity of water. Seems that is wrong from what you have all said here. The second half of the speed of sound question was gay, so i left that. And the last half of question 4. Reckon I got roughly 50%, so dunno whether passed or not.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.