Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, got two quick questions please- Why does a longer fetch mean a wave is more likely to erode? Also why is deep water less likely to deposit sediment?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmerjj)
    Hi, got two quick questions please- Why does a longer fetch mean a wave is more likely to erode? Also why is deep water less likely to deposit sediment?
    Thanks
    A longer fetch is more likely to lead to the formation of destructive waves which have a stronger backwash which will then lead to a loss of sediment from a beach over time or the increased erosion of cliff faces. Sediment is less likely to be deposited in deeper water as the wave load (the amount of material it can carry) as well as the competence (the maximum particle size that can be carried) is increased. Deposition tends to happen in shallower waters as the wave's competence and load is decreased and this can be seen in the formation of bays as sediment is deposited in the shallow water.

I hope that is of help to you,
    DBR247

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBR247)
    A longer fetch is more likely to lead to the formation of destructive waves which have a stronger backwash which will then lead to a loss of sediment from a beach over time or the increased erosion of cliff faces. Sediment is less likely to be deposited in deeper water as the wave load (the amount of material it can carry) as well as the competence (the maximum particle size that can be carried) is increased. Deposition tends to happen in shallower waters as the wave's competence and load is decreased and this can be seen in the formation of bays as sediment is deposited in the shallow water.

I hope that is of help to you,
    DBR247
    Hi man yeah that's great thank you, but just one thing, I don't get why a longer fetch gives a wave more energy. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmerjj)
    Hi man yeah that's great thank you, but just one thing, I don't get why a longer fetch gives a wave more energy. Cheers
    A longer fetch gives a wave more energy as the wave has the opportunity to gain greater momentum, a shorter fetch doesn't allow a wave to build as much momentum leading to weaker constructive waves.

I hope that clarifies things for you,
    DBR247

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBR247)
    A longer fetch gives a wave more energy as the wave has the opportunity to gain greater momentum, a shorter fetch doesn't allow a wave to build as much momentum leading to weaker constructive waves.

I hope that clarifies things for you,
    DBR247
    Thanks so much that's make sense now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.