Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Accepted my offer from portsmouth today to do sport science, which halls has been atmosphere and social scene, and would be close to where a majority of my study would be (sport). I would love a sea view but I'm awful with timing so would need to be a lot closer to my department etc and from city life unfortunately. From brief research James W looks lively and in the centre of things potentially!?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi all, Hannah from the Housing team here!

As Portsmouth is a city-based university rather than being on a campus, it doesn't matter where you are located in terms of accessing your uni buildings. TBH, you will probably be doing lectures etc. across a variety of academic buildings so even if you were in a hall near "your building", you may not actually be in it a lot of the time! We don't allocate by hall - it's done by you picking your preferred location, then you pick your preferred type of accommodation - this way it gives us more options to allocate you to something you prefer )

ReputationRep:
    I've just received an offer for Greetham street hall. I know nothing about portsmouth and the location of these halls.. also they are pretty pricey.

Any of you know if these are decent halls? I only have 6 days to respond

Thanks in advance

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyKristian)
    I've just received an offer for Greetham street hall. I know nothing about portsmouth and the location of these halls.. also they are pretty pricey.

Thanks in advance

Ryan
    If you don't accept then you won't be sent another option. Greetham Street Halls are brand new so you'd be first, that's why there's not much info about them. They're about £146 a week but you get a double bed and everything in them is new. They're next to Portsmouth & Southsea station so really close to the city centre. I'd definitely recommend accepting them.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahhwhileyy)
    If you don't accept then you won't be sent another option. Greetham Street Halls are brand new so you'd be first, that's why there's not much info about them. They're about £146 a week but you get a double bed and everything in them is new. They're next to Portsmouth & Southsea station so really close to the city centre. I'd definitely recommend accepting them.
    Hope that helps
    Thanks for your response.Only thing I'm not sure about and which is subsequently making me reluctant to accept their offer is the price. I still don't know how much my maintenance loan will be and £5840 per year is a lot to pay out of my own pocket. I'll get in touch with student finance tomorrow and see what they say then talk with student accommodation Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Also received an offer for Greetham street halls, only thing that's stopping me is this 250 quid deposit.. By giving me this accommodation offer are they saying there's no way I'm not getting accepted to Portsmouth uni too? rather not put down £250 then get told actually no nevermind come results day :P
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ddot)
    Also received an offer for Greetham street halls, only thing that's stopping me is this 250 quid deposit.. By giving me this accommodation offer are they saying there's no way I'm not getting accepted to Portsmouth uni too? rather not put down £250 then get told actually no nevermind come results day :P
    Hi Ddot! If your situation changes after A-levels, then we will refund your £250 (this is highlighted on the application portal and in the application brochure too!). You just need to ping us a little email to let us know you will no longer be coming to UoP and we'll sort a refund )

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance

Ryan
    Hi Ryan- Greetham street is the brand new halls, this is it's first year The location is great- near portsmouth & southsea station, in the city near the pubs and clubs and only a 5 minute walk from the uni buildings.

True it's a bit pricey but at least you'll be living in a lil bit of luxury

Izzy
    (Who still doesn't have a bloody offer for halls yet :'( )

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting on a halls offer as well - thouigh I expect to be in the cheaper options. Any ideas when offers for bateson or other guildhall halls will go out?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by chloelewis97)
    Still waiting on a halls offer as well - thouigh I expect to be in the cheaper options. Any ideas when offers for bateson or other guildhall halls will go out?
    Hi Chloe, Hannah from the Student Housing team here! We should be getting the rest of the offers out over the course of this week and next so please bear with us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloelewis97)
    Bateson came out today- any luck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IzzyWatkins)
    Bateson came out today- any luck?
    Yes! I got Bateson in B block
    Did you get bateson also?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Izzy. Thanks for your response!

I called student finance ... They said my maintenance loan will not be with me before the 27th. Which sucked because I needed to accept my halls offer by yesterday...

So I accepted it on Friday and I figured I'd wit till uni halls emailed me back requesting my guarantor and deposit of £250... They still haven't which is strange.

Nonetheless; I'm glad they haven't ... Gives me time to wait for my maintenance loan to come through then I will know if I can afford to stay at these particular halls.

Sucks you haven't got your offer yet but surely you will soon. I think I received mine fairly quickly maybe because they are new and they need to know if people are going to accept the offer or not so they can replace them if they don't accept it.

Either way... All of this is a bit of a ball ache. As if student finance wasn't enough of a PITA!

I am also waiting on results at the end of august so its good to know I'll get my deposit back if I don't get the grades required of me for uni.

Thanks

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response.Only thing I'm not sure about and which is subsequently making me reluctant to accept their offer is the price. I still don't know how much my maintenance loan will be and £5840 per year is a lot to pay out of my own pocket. I'll get in touch with student finance tomorrow and see what they say then talk with student accommodation Thanks again
    Do you know what you're gonna do mate?

ReputationRep:
    I paid the deposit and I contacted the uni halls / private company (Unite students), told them the situation I am in and they gave me an extension.

Student Finance England need sorting out, they STILL have not processed my maintenance loan.

I am fuming. Bar that; I will just finalise all of the necessary docs/emails for my uni halls and go through with it. If my maintenance loan doesn't cover it I'll pull out and have to look at renting private instead of halls.

Fingers crossed I can stay at Greetham though!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm on floor 12. Can someone send me the address of the building please (obviously not flat number etc) so I can finish my registration to the university?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.