Swearing is not bad, and does not make you look stupid or inarticulate Watch

Itsyaboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I don't understand anyone's issue with swearing

Or TSR's for that matter
I'm very articulate and I use heavy slang, I swear a lot and I use text shortenings
I
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
time and a place for everything, and swearing constantly just ruins its meaning
thefatone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Itsyaboy)

Or TSR's for that matter
I'm very articulate and I use heavy slang, I swear a lot and I use text shortenings
I
Me niether, i don't see what's wrong with the occasional ****ing swear...
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think we're all desensitised but, I for one, would never swear near my boss. So it's still taboo and it's still most definitely rude.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol at this bein in the philosophy section but yea I agree ppl need to be less virgin eared about every ****ing thing, it's just swearing
I hate that ppl confuse conservatism with morality. Or don't swear just to be socially responsible or politically correct. It's like say wtf you want
But I get websites trying to cater to everyones sensitivities, but I do prefer places with little to no censoring because I'm grown n dont feel like being chastised for using "mean" words or bein looked down on from some rand
SmileyVibe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well swearing doesn't make you look classy or intelligent. Try attending a school where it isn't abnormal to hear fu*k, sh*t, nigg* (not a curse word but it isn't great either), and other inappropriate words EVERYDAY in the hallways, the classrooms, the bathrooms, just bout anywhere where student's are. I don't mind if its a slip of the tongue or expressing frustration but people are capable of making sentences without using curse words as a verb, adjective, and subject.

Swearing makes you look rachet/ghetto. It makes you look "cheap". At least that is what the ghetto kids do at my school. They use curse words for everything and no respect for anyone' ears. I don't like hearing curse words, especially by loud ghetto girls on my school bus. You think a group of girls using that language is cute? Its unbearable. I don't deny I don't curse (in my mind) but at least I keep my mouth clean in public, and substitute those words with crap or darn, and to myself when I speak aloud. I find it difficult to curse in written text, or spoken.
Implication
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SmileyVibe)
Well swearing doesn't make you look classy or intelligent. Try attending a school where it isn't abnormal to hear fu*k, sh*t, nigg* (not a curse word but it isn't great either), and other inappropriate words EVERYDAY in the hallways, the classrooms, the bathrooms, just bout anywhere where student's are. I don't mind if its a slip of the tongue or expressing frustration but people are capable of making sentences without using curse words as a verb, adjective, and subject.

Swearing makes you look rachet/ghetto. It makes you look "cheap". At least that is what the ghetto kids do at my school. They use curse words for everything and no respect for anyone' ears. I don't like hearing curse words, especially by loud ghetto girls on my school bus. You think a group of girls using that language is cute? Its unbearable. I don't deny I don't curse (in my mind) but at least I keep my mouth clean in public, and substitute those words with crap or darn, and to myself when I speak aloud. I find it difficult to curse in written text, or spoken.
I don't know about school but I legit know about three adults who don't swear at all. It's pretty standard. Obviously, swearing constantly is different.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm totally desensitised to pretty much all swear words so I don't find it bad at all. As such the "it loses its meaning" argument does nothing for me because to me it doesn't really have any to begin with.

I have a bigger problem with the word "scum" than I do with any kind of swear word.
NewcastleFresher
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
I'm totally desensitised to pretty much all swear words so I don't find it bad at all. As such the "it loses its meaning" argument does nothing for me because to me it doesn't really have any to begin with.

I have a bigger problem with the word "scum" than I do with any kind of swear word.
scum
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NewcastleFresher)
scum
Not just the word being shouted willy nilly you ****ing pickled onion, it's when people call other people scum and genuinely mean it that sort of irks me for some reason I haven't bothered to try and fully comprehend yet.
NewcastleFresher
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not just the word being shouted willy nilly you ****ing pickled onion, it's when people call other people scum and genuinely mean it that sort of irks me for some reason I haven't bothered to try and fully comprehend yet.
I got that :rofl:

Lmao don't read the Guardian every comments section is "Tory scum"
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's just a matter of knowing the proper time and place. I swear freely among friends, but not otherwise...
King Scorchy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I don't swear, how am I supposed to tell people you what me and your mum did last night?
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by King Scorchy)
If I don't swear, how am I supposed to tell people you what me and your mum did last night?
You procreated
You flim-flammed her zim-zam
You had her steak bake
You conjoined your giblets
You found out about some interesting ways to use an avocado for entertainment
King Scorchy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You procreated
You flim-flammed her zim-zam
You had her steak bake
You conjoined your giblets
You found out about some interesting ways to use an avocado for entertainment
Funny.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No ****.
Longshot6000
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
People who swear are just very uncomfortable to be around.
dozyrosie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Itsyaboy)

Or TSR's for that matter
I
Apparently you cannot swear on TSR as it is 'XXXX'ed out. Saying this I had a post refused for using the perfectly acceptable English word "*******", for swearing. Makes you wonder if the Mods are literate.
Implication
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dozyrosie)
Apparently you cannot swear on TSR as it is 'XXXX'ed out. Saying this I had a post refused for using the perfectly acceptable English word "*******", for swearing. Makes you wonder if the Mods are literate.
'*******' is considered a swear word by most people i would think
dozyrosie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Implication)
'*******' is considered a swear word by most people i would think
It is not a swear word though, it is quite acceptable in scrabble. If TSR mods consider it so then it should be XXXXed out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.44%
No I don't (152)
47.06%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.5%

Watched Threads