Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and i've started looking at unis, I really want to do a degree in anatomy, anyone know what I can do with an anatomy degree, other than graduate medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Why not just do a medicine degree? You could do an anatomy summer/online course if it interests you, it really wouldn't take too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Why not just do a medicine degree? You could do an anatomy summer/online course if it interests you, it really wouldn't take too long
    I don't really want to go into medicine, I was just wondering if there were things i could do with an anatomy degree that wasn't becoming a doctor of some sort

ReputationRep:
    Physician associate post graduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Physician associate post graduate
    never heard of that, i'll give it a look, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah-grace)
    I don't really want to go into medicine, I was just wondering if there were things i could do with an anatomy degree that wasn't becoming a doctor of some sort
    You could be a clinical anatomist, a researcher, or even a teacher. Also there are lots of jobs where you don't use your degree but just the skills you gained from doing it, those are often applicable to all non-vocational degrees.

What I was trying to say is that maybe you could look for a degree that would open up more options, and do an anatomy course yourself to fulfill your interest because it's not necessarily something you need to (or can) spend 3 years doing. My medicine degree includes a comprehensive anatomy course and I cannot imagine an anatomy degree would teach you anything extra in terms of actual human anatomy, yet we do it in the equivalent of 5 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Gaiaphage medicine isn't for everyone and that's okay I imagine a full degree definitley would teach you more than the anatomy module in a medicine degree would - I highly doubt that a 3 year course can be totally summed up in 5 weeks.

From what I've read, anatomy generally leads to research jobs, which I imagine you'd be good at because you're really good at problem solving and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleishans)
    Gaiaphage medicine isn't for everyone and that's okay I imagine a full degree definitley would teach you more than the anatomy module in a medicine degree would - I highly doubt that a 3 year course can be totally summed up in 5 weeks.

From what I've read, anatomy generally leads to research jobs, which I imagine you'd be good at because you're really good at problem solving and all that jazz.

😘😘😘

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleishans)

I assumed from the OP that the intention was to do graduate entry medicine afterwards and they were asking what the alternatives were in case they didn't get in - I wasn't trying to suggest they did medicine if they didn't want to!

We do the course in 16 weeks but we also do 2 other courses simultaneously so if it was just pure anatomy it would take about 5 weeks (although it would be easier to spread it out). I forgot to mention that it doesn't include the head which of course is a very important part and we do that separately in another 16 week course next year, so perhaps it would take about 10 weeks in total.

One of the reasons that this course is famed for being so intense is we genuinely do the whole anatomy in the very short time - we are examined on every aspect of the entire body (except the head) to the tiniest details.

What problem solving is there in anatomy? It's more to do with memory and visualisation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    I assumed from the OP that the intention was to do graduate entry medicine afterwards and they were asking what the alternatives were in case they didn't get in - I wasn't trying to suggest they did medicine if they didn't want to!

We do the course in 16 weeks but we also do 2 other courses simultaneously so if it was just pure anatomy it would take about 5 weeks (although it would be easier to spread it out). I forgot to mention that it doesn't include the head which of course is a very important part and we do that separately in another 16 week course next year, so perhaps it would take about 10 weeks in total.

One of the reasons that this course is famed for being so intense is we genuinely do the whole anatomy in the very short time - we are examined on every aspect of the entire body (except the head) to the tiniest details.

What problem solving is there in anatomy? It's more to do with memory and visualisation
    To your last point, I was referring to research in general Not an anatomy degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.