Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people in the North East want a Brexit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The North East is strange. It seems to be the most xenophobic, anti-EU part of the country.

The EU has a fund specifically for funding less well-off regions of its member states. The North East gets a lot of investment from this fund, the ERDF, while our own government leaves us to rot. How deluded must you be to believe that the North East would be better-off with a Brexit? Do you genuinely believe that any of that £8billion/year saved would go to you?

Immigration is probably less of an issue here than anywhere else in the country. I've lived in the NE my whole life and met one Polish person and two Muslims. One of those Muslims was a GP, and she was the best GP I've ever had.

People here seem to resent the EU as if its the cause of our poverty. I don't know why people find it so difficult to understand that the problem is our own government, and the EU has helped us more than the Tories ever have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    The North East is strange. It seems to be the most xenophobic, anti-EU part of the country.

The EU has a fund specifically for funding less well-off regions of its member states. The North East gets a lot of investment from this fund, the ERDF, while our own government leaves us to rot. How deluded must you be to believe that the North East would be better-off with a Brexit? Do you genuinely believe that any of that £8billion/year saved would go to you?

Immigration is probably less of an issue here than anywhere else in the country. I've lived in the NE my whole life and met one Polish person and two Muslims. One of those Muslims was a GP, and she was the best GP I've ever had.

People here seem to resent the EU as if its the cause of our poverty. I don't know why people find it so difficult to understand that the problem is our own government, and the EU has helped us more than the Tories ever have.
    The north generally hate immigrants. I am a midlande, the midlands is quite southern on the UK map and i despise immigrants. They are a strain on national resources such as welfare- In Tipton i do not think i have met an immigrant with a job, not only that they clog up my doctors spreading their diseases. All the immigrants are sent to the Midlands because

A. They do not vote Tory so they will not risk integrating them in southern seats where they do well
    B Politically midlanders do not really care what happens

Resenting the EU- I can really speak for that, the more people who use free movement the higher the population is, all these people coming to the UK will need a job so the wage demands will be much less then our own citizens. So the EU drives wages down the winner in all of this is the companies. There are many immigrants who work in Primarks UK sweatshop for below the minimum wage

Bit of an old article but you can bet it still occurs - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7824291.stm

To summarise I am anti immigration, Economically to the right of Milibands Labour- anti EU, and can not stand the tories, find me a political party

ReputationRep:
    I guess they resent the EU bribe attempts.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the North and I'm going to be honest I've seen lots of projects which are funded by the EU. The Tory have abonded this part of the country and have cut down on council funding, the councils with the most funds are in fact in Tory held areas.

ReputationRep:
    To piss off Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    The Tory have abonded this part of the country
    And yet, the decade that Labour were in charge did precisely sod all for them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otester)
    I guess they resent the EU bribe attempts.
    What a stupid thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they want to remain.
    Why would anyone want to remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I can't say I've ever encountered a particularly strong anti-EU sentiment in the North East. In Fact, polling data suggests your claim is false, with support for staying in the EU being higher in the North East than any other English region.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-wants-to-rem/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.