Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety, depression, A2 exams and moving out? Watch

I'm in year 13 and I have social anxiety. I'm also depressed but since it's seasonal it's usually manageable from around April to November. I have a lot of exams at the end of this year (10 including AS resits) and I can't find enough motivation but at the same time I'm petrified of failing.

I'm worried about moving out especially because in the last year my mental health has been pretty bad. I have no sense of self worth. My mum's worried that I have an eating disorder and I'm beginning to think she might be right but I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. Until recently I was in an emotionally abusive relationship with a very manipulative person but I cut him off and since then I've been a bit better.

I'm still scared of moving out and meeting people and I'm worried that my mental health will just get worse if I don't find friends at uni. I also want to come out to my parents sometime in the next year but I don't know if it's a good idea as even though my mum's been giving me hints that she know's I'm not straight I'm still not sure whether I'm bi or a lesbian and I'm scared of how my homophobic dad will react.

Any tips, advice about coming out, mental health and revision and coping with exam stress would be helpful. Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in year 13 and I have social anxiety. I'm also depressed but since it's seasonal it's usually manageable from around April to November. I have a lot of exams at the end of this year (10 including AS resits) and I can't find enough motivation but at the same time I'm petrified of failing.

I'm worried about moving out especially because in the last year my mental health has been pretty bad. I have no sense of self worth. My mum's worried that I have an eating disorder and I'm beginning to think she might be right but I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. Until recently I was in an emotionally abusive relationship with a very manipulative person but I cut him off and since then I've been a bit better.

I'm still scared of moving out and meeting people and I'm worried that my mental health will just get worse if I don't find friends at uni. I also want to come out to my parents sometime in the next year but I don't know if it's a good idea as even though my mum's been giving me hints that she know's I'm not straight I'm still not sure whether I'm bi or a lesbian and I'm scared of how my homophobic dad will react.

Any tips, advice about coming out, mental health and revision and coping with exam stress would be helpful. Thanks!
    Have you seen a doctor at all about this? If not that would be a good place to start! There also might be supoort people at your school that could help. If things don't work out this time there's always the option of taking a year out to recover and resitting some modules, well it could be a good one anyway tbh. You'll have time to focus on your health and could also get a job etc or do new stuff so works all ways round. Does mean being at home another year though, I don't know hoe much this would bother you. I did this for other health reasons, you're welcome to PM me if it would help at all.

Stress wise the best thing you can do it make sure you're eating, sleeping, and taking breaks and time out to relax regularly, also exercising if you can. Remember your health is far more important than exams whatever it feels like at the time! Motivation's really hard, just try and do little bits whenever you can I guess- could always set a reward (eg watch a TV program) when you've done a certain bit? Split things down into small chunks to, it feels a bit less overwhelming that way and more like you've achieved something.

Sexuality/coming out I have no idea on sorry, hopefully someone else will though. Hope that helps a bit anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, do what you want i guess

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.