Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an AS student studying biology, chemistry, maths and psychology (which I will drop) and my ALPs are at grade A. I really don't know what to do after college, but I was considering engineering and went to my careers advisor with that. When talking, I said I was interested in computers, and I was told to consider this as a career as my maths is at grad A, A* at GCSE.

One recommendation was the BSc degree apprenticeship in Digital and Technology Solutions, here's the link:
    http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/apprenticeship...ogy-solutions/

The 'earn while you learn (& get a degree!)' is very appealing, but because this qualification is fairly new, I don't really know exactly where it can get me. The site says I could get jobs such as software and network engineer, but how many people will actually get those from this scheme? And what is the earning/promotion potential?

ReputationRep:
    Basically it is the same as taking a BSc computer science/software engineering except you have more industry experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Basically it is the same as taking a BSc computer science/software engineering except you have more industry experience.
    So this would not be 'second best' to a regular degree (my college wants us to think a pure degree is the only way to go)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasonrose98)
    So this would not be 'second best' to a regular degree (my college wants us to think a pure degree is the only way to go)
    effectively yes my college says they are alternatives. Some people want more hands on experience and others want the pure uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    its similar to the A-Level BTec argument

ReputationRep:
    Its a very good scheme, essentially on completion you will have a BSc degree and a good few years experience on your CV most companies will put you straight into a grad job

If you do the john lewis IT apprenticship you will get the BSc Digital and Tech Solutions degree from a Russell Group uni (Queen Mary) so if you are predicted high enough grades i would look at this and also have 3 days pw in the office and 2 at uni which is really good as most companies will only give you day release

The degree itself is essentially a criss between Computing and Business, sort of like a better version on an ITMB degree as it has a slightly more technical side to it, someone said it was like Computer Science, not really the case as the Digital Solutions degree wont really have any sort of maths or heavy theory in it, its more skills based so you will cover relevant stuff like programming and software development

Hope this helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.