Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    THBT The American dream has become a nightmare...

Does any one any agruements for the proposition? Or any ideas as to what the opposition might say?

I'd be grateful for any help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American and I've never really understood what the phrase "the American Dream" is supposed to mean. Most often I hear it used to refer to people making a lot of money and buying a big house, and if that's what it is then all I have to say is that is one shallow dream. And that kind of hungry materialism is quite a nightmare, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfish)
    I'm an American and I've never really understood what the phrase "the American Dream" is supposed to mean. Most often I hear it used to refer to people making a lot of money and buying a big house, and if that's what it is then all I have to say is that is one shallow dream. And that kind of hungry materialism is quite a nightmare, I suppose.
    Its supposed to be the fact that anyone, no matter where theyre from or who they are, can make a success of themselves in the 'land of the free'.

ReputationRep:
    the american dream began to die after the 1950s baby boom and its final death nail came on Sept 11th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Its supposed to be the fact that anyone, no matter where theyre from or who they are, can make a success of themselves in the 'land of the free'.
    Or its merely an excuse to repress the proletariat by feeding them the dream that one day they to could become rich and they are therfore more willng to accept the excesses of the rich - but thats me being cynical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Or its merely an excuse to repress the proletariat by feeding them the dream that one day they to could become rich and they are therfore more willng to accept the excesses of the rich - but thats me being cynical
    Thats a plausible interpretation of the reality, however i was stating what the 'dream' was supposed to represent.

ReputationRep:
    well i would definately argue over what the defination of an american dream is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfish)
    I thought that the American dream was something that J.F.K believed in? Was it not to do with equality and freedom of speech, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    I thought that the American dream was something that J.F.K believed in? Was it not to do with equality and freedom of speech, etc?

no. JFK was a fool, and did not believe in freedom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    no. JFK was a fool, and did not believe in freedom
    i'm sure he made a speech on the American dream or am i confusing this with someone else:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure he made a speech on the American dream or am i confusing this with someone else:rolleyes:
    martin luther king?

ReputationRep:

lol, yes he made very many speeches on 'freedom' , but whether he actually believed in that, e.g Cuba and Vietnam,

one thing to say you believe in those things, but another to actually live up to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    martin luther king?
    No, i'm sure it was J.FK becuase he was also an idealised

ReputationRep:
    No, i'm sure it was J.FK becuase he was also an idealised

are you talking about the 1963 UN speech?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    are you talking about the 1963 UN speech?
    i don't know what speech it came from, all i thought was that he believed in equality, liberalism etc...

ReputationRep:
    i don't know what speech it came from, all i thought was that he believed in equality, liberalism etc...

well yeh, he probably was talking about those issues, but he didn't believe in them - much like many of the cold-war and post-cold war presidents

ReputationRep:
    I did this in A Level Sociology the idea of the American Dream was devised by an American sociologist called Merton, who said that the goal system predominant in US Society during the 1930s was not befititng of the possibilities of the majority - or something to that effect and he called it the American Dream

ReputationRep:
    yeah supposed to be and that's probably just it..it's just a dream.....

ReputationRep:
    it is the belief of the average american in this proposition, whether it is a reality or not. the belief that, given half a chance and left to their own devices they can determine a successful future for themselves despite the odds.

ReputationRep:
    Which speaking from experience I can tell you is a complete load of nonsense.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.