Hungry all the time after some blood loss (+anemia) - normal reaction? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it normal? I've lost quite a bit of blood during the past 2 weeks, was on antibiotics, and had quite a bit of anesthetic pumped into me. I was already anemic to begin with but my appetite has always been poor. Is it possible that my anemia is now worse and that's why? Will this go away soon? I am a bit underweight but I'd prefer to stay that way.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is it normal? I've lost quite a bit of blood during the past 2 weeks, was on antibiotics, and had quite a bit of anesthetic pumped into me. I was already anemic to begin with but my appetite has always been poor. Is it possible that my anemia is now worse and that's why? Will this go away soon? I am a bit underweight but I'd prefer to stay that way.
Loosing blood means loosing energy and nutrients that are in it. Probably normal with the blood loss and healing/ regeneration. I expect it will improve and isn't worsened anemia. As far as I know anemia is due to iron levels and would not be affected by blood loss.

You could check with a doc or pharmacist if you are worried though
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's normal. See a professional if you're worried.
(Original post by Kindred)
Loosing blood means loosing energy and nutrients that are in it. Probably normal with the blood loss and healing/ regeneration. I expect it will improve and isn't worsened anemia. As far as I know anemia is due to iron levels and would not be affected by blood loss.

You could check with a doc or pharmacist if you are worried though
Anaemia is low erythrocyte or haemoglobin levels. There are many causes, including low iron levels and blood loss.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
That's normal. See a professional if you're worried.

Anaemia is low erythrocyte or haemoglobin levels. There are many causes, including low iron levels and blood loss.
Thanks for that.
I assume blood loss would be tempory influence still and it's affects would improve as the blood is restored?
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kindred)
Thanks for that.
I assume blood loss would be tempory influence still and it's affects would improve as the blood is restored?
Yeah, assuming they get the proper nutrition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (77)
19.54%
Labour (189)
47.97%
Liberal Democrats (56)
14.21%
Green Party (25)
6.35%
Brexit Party (5)
1.27%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.76%
SNP (8)
2.03%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.76%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.52%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)