Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions on stay at home girlfriends/wifes? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing more and more of this **** as I get older. No kids to take care of, but the guy works while the girl just chills.

Obviously people are free to do whatever they want with their lives, and I'm free to view guys in relationships like this as chumps...

Wives*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    if one partner stays home then i think to myself, they must be busy taking care of the other partner with things like dinner, cleaning and stuff. i dont think the person staying home should be asking for more than what they deserve though

ReputationRep:
    Gold diggers

ReputationRep:
    She has to go for the career to start with so you can buy the best possible house together. After that you can sort it out however you want according to what your priorities are in life as long as you can meet the mortgage repayments. This is only the case in an economy like our one where it is high capital and low interest.

Plus it's scarcely any great shakes being a woman existing on housekeeping money, lunching with the same yummy mummies for the next 25 years of your life, moving or not moving as your husband requires, and knowing you don't have a way out if you need one.

ReputationRep:
    Best model for raising a family in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Best model for raising a family in my opinion.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Great. As long as she keeps to her half of responsibility e.g. cooking/cleaning/looking after children.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be able to, I never want to, I hope I'm never in that situation. I want to always be working and earning. I think it's just laziness staying at home while a man works(if you have no babies obviously, nothing wrong with stay at home parents).

I also don't want to feed off his money like a parasite. I'd feel awful for asking for anything, even the weekly shopping.

My mum has always, always worked. I can't imagine her just sitting around doing nothing all day, which is why I can't and don't ever want to imagine myself that way.

No, no, no, no, never, NEVER! NO!

ReputationRep:
    If she's just at home with no responsibilities, chilling and not providing/benefitting the family in any way- I would find that so annoying. That's just being lazy and hardworking men should not waste their time on women like that

I think women should work, but if she chooses not to and her partner is ok with that I would expect her to be fully involved in the responsibilities at home. If she's doing neither, she's a time waster

ReputationRep:
    I want a partner who works, although I don't mind if she stops working if we have kids (I'm not expecting her to give up her job though). If she does, I'd still like her to commit to something she feels passionate about like idk art or something. I would never want to marry someone who just wants to stay at home and cook and clean everyday. It's a waste of life and of the opportunities which are available to us in the 1st world.

ReputationRep:
    If they've a valid reason then fair play, otherwise you'd hope they had the get-up-and-go to want to do something rewarding with their time :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a personal decision and not for anyone to judge. My dad stays at home while my mum works. Obviously it's slightly different when you're a parent, but he does all the cooking, cleaning, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's the best way to have a stable, happy, healthy family. When I have kids, I don't want some random daycare lady to be raising my children, but my wife, their mother, the only person who will have unconditional love for them. No other woman is going to give them that sort of nurturing attention that a healthy and happy child needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    I think that's the best way to have a stable, happy, healthy family. When I have kids, I don't want some random daycare lady to be raising my children, but my wife, their mother, the only person who will have unconditional love for them. No other woman is going to give them that sort of nurturing attention that a healthy and happy child needs.
    I don't think it's the "healthiest" way, a lot of women suffer with postpartum depression and anxiety, staying at home for such a long period of time can make it worse, also children are hard work.

There is NOTHING wrong with putting your child in daycare! It doesn't mean you don't love your child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I don't think it's the "healthiest" way, a lot of women suffer with postpartum depression and anxiety, staying at home for such a long period of time can make it worse, also children are hard work.

There is NOTHING wrong with putting your child in daycare! It doesn't mean you don't love your child.
    feeding a child and changing their nappies whilst they watch TV is hard work?
    sign me up

ReputationRep:
    My housemate has apsirations to become a stay at home mother. Personally, I was raised by a single mother who worked. And then a single dad, who worked. At no point have I ever felt that I was missing out because my parents weren't at home 24/7. I'm independent because there were times I had too look after myself.

ReputationRep:
    If, and a very big if I had kids and my husband wanted me to stay at home I certainly would. Otherwise I'd like to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    feeding a child and changing their nappies whilst they watch TV is hard work?
    sign me up
    bye

and feeding actually can be painful for women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Why?
    It allows a mother to nurture and spend time with her children during the important early years of their lives. I think it's really important for kids to form a close bond. I'd hate to be a kid in a family where both parents work. Getting frequently shoved off to some form childcare would affect me mentally.

Being a stay at home mum is literally my dream

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.