Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing AS levels and while a few people I know have said that they aren't typically a big deal how you do in them (if they don't carry over) I still want to revise but I'm struggling to find the motivation to do so. Typically when I get home I will spend about 2-3 hours on homework then after that I don't want to do anything or am too tired to do anything, and even on days where I don't have to do homework it's still a struggle to do any revision.

Having teachers piling on exam questions/papers and other tasks as homework certainly isn't helping - and while I know this is for revision, I'd rather just be able to sit there and revise the content for the actual exam.

Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this?

Also some extra information: I'm currently studying Sociology, Psychology, History and Biology (4 information-heavy topics unfortunately), and I'm thinking of dropping Biology for year 13.

ReputationRep:
    revise or embrace your new job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vigilantes)
    I'm currently doing AS levels and while a few people I know have said that they aren't typically a big deal how you do in them (if they don't carry over) I still want to revise but I'm struggling to find the motivation to do so. Typically when I get home I will spend about 2-3 hours on homework then after that I don't want to do anything or am too tired to do anything, and even on days where I don't have to do homework it's still a struggle to do any revision.

Having teachers piling on exam questions/papers and other tasks as homework certainly isn't helping - and while I know this is for revision, I'd rather just be able to sit there and revise the content for the actual exam.

Also some extra information: I'm currently studying Sociology, Psychology, History and Biology (4 information-heavy topics unfortunately), and I'm thinking of dropping Biology for year 13.

sit down with a paper or a book on an EMPTY table. You'll be much less distracted, motivation is unreliable, you gotta throw it away, you just need to be disciplined.

ReputationRep:

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear that you're losing motivation but never fear! It's something that's pretty normal. First of all, AS is pretty important - it takes a HUGE load off of A2. For example, I got a high A in biology for AS so I was a little chill for A2.

As for your workload, I suggest you find what is best for you rather than listening to what your teachers suggest. I don't know how flexible your teachers are but I used to do this thing where I'd revise through my textbooks until a month or so before the exams when I'd start doing past papers. So when my teachers gave me papers that I wasn't confident with, I'd go and let them know how I was working my way around the subject and they'd be okay with it. Similarly, you should find what works for you and stick to it. Go at your own pace, if you're a little tight on time, think about other ways to revise. For some people in my class, doing past papers even if they didn't know a lot of concepts helped but that didn't work for me at all.
    During my A2 year, I lost my motivation too. Thoughts about uni and getting out of high school which used to drive me in AS no longer worked. So I started focusing on the smaller things. Every time I felt like doing something else other than studying, I pictured myself doing something simple like cycling after my exams - I imagined what it would feel like to do everything without the idea of an exam hanging over my head. I imagined myself not worrying about what grades I'd get. And I thought that I owed my future self that break of calm, away from studies. And that's pretty much all that made me actually study for my exams. See if that works for you.
    All the best and feel free to private message me anytime that you want to talk.

ReputationRep:

You try to have a more positive outlook. there is still time to get your head down and work your socks off.

I was in the same situation as you are. I had no motivation to do any work and I would come home from college and either watch tv or pretend to my work.

This all changed when I took a job in a warehouse for the summer. I was talking to a man who worked there and asked him how long he had been working there, his reply was "9 years." for 9 years he had held the same post and not progressed. I was so shocked by this I decided that I was not going to end up like him. that is when I pulled my finger out and started to work. now I am applying to do physiotherapy at uni.

sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Ink & Jas for the help. I think my main problem is trying to do lots in one night, so I'm trying to pace myself by doing a set amount each night and having a break on Fridays. Good to know I'm not the only one losing motivation - but it's a bit difficult having 2 biology mocks and a psychology mock basically a week before exams.

ReputationRep:
    Take short breaks after every one-hour study session. It helps. A lot.
    You know, the ultimate thing that you should focus on when studying for mocks is to as many topics as you can thorough. So for example, in biology, if there are, say, 13 chapters then I'll assume you already know the first 2-3 chapters pretty well because it's kinda basic. After that, for the mock, instead of trying to do all chapters in one go - which would probably make you forget the details in a few days - focus on certain chapters that you're not so good at. Take your time with these chapters and make the concepts crystal clear in your head - these should be so clear that you won't have to sit around reading them the night before the actual exam. So say you finish these hard chapters and leave a few chapters which you already kinda know for some other time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.