Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently finishing off my AS courses with Biology, Psychology and English L&L. It's been an extremely difficult year, and I realised (when it was too late) that I may be going down the wrong route. I've recently inquired about a BTEC course than my college do. They have incredible facilities for it - it's animal management. I hope to be pursuing a career in something like animal behaviour and welfare, and I very much would like to go to uni. I don't really mind how prestigious the university is, but I'd like to know from you guys:
    Do you think I'm making the correct decision with this career choice in switching to a BTEC course?
    How will this affect me getting into uni?
    Are BTECs considered easier and of a lower standard than A Levels?
    I never really seem to get straight answers from people, everywhere I go it's different! I honestly get a different response from every career adviser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clooys)
    I'm currently finishing off my AS courses with Biology, Psychology and English L&L. It's been an extremely difficult year, and I realised (when it was too late) that I may be going down the wrong route. I've recently inquired about a BTEC course than my college do. They have incredible facilities for it - it's animal management. I hope to be pursuing a career in something like animal behaviour and welfare, and I very much would like to go to uni. I don't really mind how prestigious the university is, but I'd like to know from you guys:
    Do you think I'm making the correct decision with this career choice in switching to a BTEC course?
    How will this affect me getting into uni?
    Are BTECs considered easier and of a lower standard than A Levels?
    I never really seem to get straight answers from people, everywhere I go it's different! I honestly get a different response from every career adviser.
    Only you can decide this I'm afraid. If you're certain - 100% - about wanting that career then I'd certainly do the BTEC personally. Be careful though, many universities need Biology at A-Level to do Animal Behaviour (although that may be part of the BTEC I don't know)...

I'd also advise to wait until summer (Results) to make your decision. It may be that you do much better than expected and you're able to carry on. Right now we're all stressed and making major decision probably isn't the best thing to do.

Don't listen to the people who will try and say that A-Levels are superior - if they don't suit you then so be it. I do A-Levels but still respect the amount of work that goes into getting BTEC.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clooys)
    x
    Hello! I might be of some use as I'm in a very similar position to you. I'm currently doing AS Levels, looking at doing a BTEC next year because of how this year is going thus far.

I've applied to a BTEC course at a local college (and been accepted for September start). I'm going to see what I get in the summer - if they are decent grades, I'll go on to do A Level. If not, I'm going to do the BTEC.

This might be a good route for you - as someone else said, tensions are quite high at this point in the year because of the exams. You may do much better than expected, showing you could do the full A Level and go to University for 2017 entry.

What I will say to definitely do is look at the Universities you will want to apply to, or do a rough guess of Uni's you'd potentially apply to and check the entry requirements (and check again) that they definitely allow you to just do a BTEC, and won't require something like A Level Biology alongside (some Uni's like to request a BTEC with an A Level as well).

Doing BTEC isn't a bad thing as some might suggest, in fact, for things like Animal Management, they give you great practical and specific experience in the subject, which A Levels can't and don't do. I know people that have done BTECs and gone on to University and done very well.

Whatever you decide, make sure it's the right one for you and you're not allowing anyone to pressure you into a decision. Take your time to make it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.