Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice on my postgraduate uni choice.

I'm really interested in diabetes and Chester U has a taught Masters on diabetes that really interests me as it's not only a taught course (which I wanted), but there's a research element as well (which I also wanted) in the form of a dissertation which will lead to publication (again, which I wanted) - the subject really interests me and it fits everything I wanted out of a post graduate degree. For these reasons, it is by far the only course I've looked at that I've really gone "YES! This is what I want to do next!" I've looked at other places nearby (I don't want to move from my current town so was only looking at commutable places) such as Liverpool, John Moores, Manchester and while they have some interesting courses, none of them have excited me and inspired me like the course at Chester has.

But I'm worried about its reputation. It doesn't rank highly on league tables, in the 90s from what I remember and falling. I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed at this. I currently study at Edge Hill which (last time I looked) was ranked in the 70s. I've aspired since year 1 to go on to a higher ranked uni to do a post grad, so the idea of going to an even 'lesser' university is moderately disappointing. I never wanted Oxford or anything, but I'd hoped to go on to study at a top 20-30 university, somewhere that had a decent name for themselves and a bit more renown. A place that didn't make people go "where?" which I've got several times since I've been studying at Edge Hill. I had one particular family friend say to my mother a couple of months ago, after being told for over 2 years about my uni progress, "is it an ACTUAL a university she's at? I thought it was just a college!". Which I honestly found pretty upsetting. I wanted to avoid a repeat of that in my next uni.

I'm also worried about the value of my degree from a lower university. Will studying a postgrad at a low ranked uni affect my career choice? Is this something employers take into account or is it one of those things where, unless you went to Oxbridge, they don't really care for the ranking? Assuming I do well, will going to Chester be considered lesser than, say, having got my post grad at Manchester or Liverpool Uni, for example, which are ranked significantly higher?

Further, has anyone been to Chester for a postgrad? What was your experience? Is the uni decent, academically challenging, friendly, supportive and enthusiastic academic staff? Would you recommend them? Tell me to avoid them like the plague? What was your experience generally? I've already seen a couple of typos on their website and as picky as it is, that along with their poor ranking is making me go "hmm..." and question the quality of the uni as a whole. But I also know how much I've loved Edge Hill and how I personally feel like their poor-ish ranking really hasn't affected my experience at all so I'm aware I could very well be being fussy about Chester's ranking. But, its a postgrad so I want to make the most informed choice I can as well.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Rae18)
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice on my postgraduate uni choice.

I'm really interested in diabetes and Chester U has a taught Masters on diabetes that really interests me as it's not only a taught course (which I wanted), but there's a research element as well (which I also wanted) in the form of a dissertation which will lead to publication (again, which I wanted) - the subject really interests me and it fits everything I wanted out of a post graduate degree. For these reasons, it is by far the only course I've looked at that I've really gone "YES! This is what I want to do next!" I've looked at other places nearby (I don't want to move from my current town so was only looking at commutable places) such as Liverpool, John Moores, Manchester and while they have some interesting courses, none of them have excited me and inspired me like the course at Chester has.

But I'm worried about its reputation. It doesn't rank highly on league tables, in the 90s from what I remember and falling. I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed at this. I currently study at Edge Hill which (last time I looked) was ranked in the 70s. I've aspired since year 1 to go on to a higher ranked uni to do a post grad, so the idea of going to an even 'lesser' university is moderately disappointing. I never wanted Oxford or anything, but I'd hoped to go on to study at a top 20-30 university, somewhere that had a decent name for themselves and a bit more renown. A place that didn't make people go "where?" which I've got several times since I've been studying at Edge Hill. I had one particular family friend say to my mother a couple of months ago, after being told for over 2 years about my uni progress, "is it an ACTUAL a university she's at? I thought it was just a college!". Which I honestly found pretty upsetting. I wanted to avoid a repeat of that in my next uni.

I'm also worried about the value of my degree from a lower university. Will studying a postgrad at a low ranked uni affect my career choice? Is this something employers take into account or is it one of those things where, unless you went to Oxbridge, they don't really care for the ranking? Assuming I do well, will going to Chester be considered lesser than, say, having got my post grad at Manchester or Liverpool Uni, for example, which are ranked significantly higher?

Further, has anyone been to Chester for a postgrad? What was your experience? Is the uni decent, academically challenging, friendly, supportive and enthusiastic academic staff? Would you recommend them? Tell me to avoid them like the plague? What was your experience generally? I've already seen a couple of typos on their website and as picky as it is, that along with their poor ranking is making me go "hmm..." and question the quality of the uni as a whole. But I also know how much I've loved Edge Hill and how I personally feel like their poor-ish ranking really hasn't affected my experience at all so I'm aware I could very well be being fussy about Chester's ranking. But, its a postgrad so I want to make the most informed choice I can as well.
    Hello,

Have you spoken to the programme leader, John Williams? If you have any questions about the course content, he will be able to give you more information. His contact details are:
    Professor John Williams, Programme Leader
    T: 01244 513081
    E: [email protected]

There's also details about the course online: http://www.chester.ac.uk/postgraduate/diabetes

Good luck with your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rae18)

I'm really interested in diabetes and Chester U has a taught Masters on diabetes that really interests me as it's not only a taught course (which I wanted), but there's a research element as well (which I also wanted) in the form of a dissertation which will lead to publication (again, which I wanted) - the subject really interests me and it fits everything I wanted out of a post graduate degree. For these reasons, it is by far the only course I've looked at that I've really gone "YES! This is what I want to do next!"
    Sounds like it's a very good match for your interests and career path, and has a structure that would suit your needs (which is more important than you might think when considering which postgrad to do).

Don't get hung up on league tables (which are for undergrad courses) - have a look at the research that's coming out of the department, track down and read the publications that previous students have produced, try to get an independent academic view of where the department stands in terms of diabetes research. Then visit and talk to them!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Chester this year for Nutrition and Exercise Science, from a Russell Group. I would take league tables etc. with a pinch of salt, unless you're going to Oxbridge it doesn't matter imo. It all depends on your career plans I guess, I have not much idea of what I want to do but just a general direction. I want to go a different area than my undergraduate because I don't enjoy that subject any more but want to work in sports.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.