The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

War Studies Department KCL

Hello. I have applied for Masters programme in War Studies department.
How is the department itself? Teaching? Quality? Students?
In particular how is IR program there?

ALso, applied for IPE at Europe and International studies department.
How is that department as well?
cheers
Reply 1
Original post by sanjarito
Hello. I have applied for Masters programme in War Studies department.
How is the department itself? Teaching? Quality? Students?
In particular how is IR program there?

ALso, applied for IPE at Europe and International studies department.
How is that department as well?
cheers

Hey there,
I am a current postgraduate student at Kings in the war studies department, writing my diss at the moment. Don't get me wrong, Kings war studies is great to have on your CV, however there have been real issues (at least this year) with certain MA programmes and professors not being interested, although this is probably an issue at many universities.

IR wise it is an excellent place to go.

War Studies MAs consist of the core module in your programme plus optional modules (I chose two which ran from September to April) plus your dissertation which you write from May to August. To that end, it doesn't really matter what your programme title is as you can pretty much tailor your own degree byt the optional modules you do. If you want to know anymore I am happy to talk via pm, but hope this helps.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by sw89
Hey there,
I am a current postgraduate student at Kings in the war studies department, writing my diss at the moment. Don't get me wrong, Kings war studies is great to have on your CV, however there have been real issues (at least this year) with certain MA programmes and professors not being interested, although this is probably an issue at many universities.

IR wise it is an excellent place to go.

War Studies MAs consist of the core module in your programme plus optional modules (I chose two which ran from September to April) plus your dissertation which you write from May to August. To that end, it doesn't really matter what your programme title is as you can pretty much tailor your own degree byt the optional modules you do. If you want to know anymore I am happy to talk via pm, but hope this helps.

Hello,

Thank you for your response to the message above. I have recently accepted an offer to the (plain old) MA War Studies at KCL so it's great to know someone who is already there and has a current feel of how the department is doing. What do you mean by real issues with certain MA programmes (and most of all, which ones?) ? If you would prefer to answer by PM, I totally understand!

I also had a few more questions:

- May I ask which MA you're enrolled in and which options you took and if the teachers were good/classes interesting (aka would you recommend the) ?

- Also, are students within the whole department able to connect/befriend (as we are all mixed up during the optional modules) or do they tend to stick with the peers they share their core module with ?

- Last one: would you have any recommendation for the year ahead ?! :smile:

Thank you very much and looking forward to your reply
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by KCWS93
Hello,

Thank you for your response to the message above. I have recently accepted an offer to the (plain old) MA War Studies at KCL so it's great to know someone who is already there and has a current feel of how the department is doing. What do you mean by real issues with certain MA programmes (and most of all, which ones?) ? If you would prefer to answer by PM, I totally understand!

I also had a few more questions:

- May I ask which MA you're enrolled in and which options you took and if the teachers were good/classes interesting (aka would you recommend the) ?

- Also, are students within the whole department able to connect/befriend (as we are all mixed up during the optional modules) or do they tend to stick with the peers they share their core module with ?

- Last one: would you have any recommendation for the year ahead ?! :smile:

Thank you very much and looking forward to your reply

Hi,
I am on the MA in ICS. I took cyber security and evolution of insurgency. Both of these modules I would recommend. I think I was the only ICS student on the cyber module, so I definitely mixed with other students!

Just work hard and keep focused would be my advice :smile: Happy to talk more specifically via PM.
Reply 4
Original post by sw89
Hi,
I am on the MA in ICS. I took cyber security and evolution of insurgency. Both of these modules I would recommend. I think I was the only ICS student on the cyber module, so I definitely mixed with other students!

Just work hard and keep focused would be my advice :smile: Happy to talk more specifically via PM.

Thanks for your response ! Sent you a PM on Wednesday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest