Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started a medicine course in 2014 and had to leave during semester 2 due to being newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder and being very ill. I am now fine and stabilised on medication and am studying at manchester. The combination of being closer to home and new meds means my mental health is very good at the moment. I am in my first year and live at home in liverpool and commute in to manchester for my course. I'm moving to manchester hopefully over summer.
    The thing is, I really want to study medicine and looked into applying to manchester either during my pharmacy course or after my course ends.
    It says they do not consider applications from people who have previously been on a medical course and have left.
    Surely they can't discriminate against me on the basis of me getting an illness through the course?
    Any help would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irumiss)
    I started a medicine course in 2014 and had to leave during semester 2 due to being newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder and being very ill. I am now fine and stabilised on medication and am studying at manchester. The combination of being closer to home and new meds means my mental health is very good at the moment. I am in my first year and live at home in liverpool and commute in to manchester for my course. I'm moving to manchester hopefully over summer.
    The thing is, I really want to study medicine and looked into applying to manchester either during my pharmacy course or after my course ends.
    It says they do not consider applications from people who have previously been on a medical course and have left.
    Surely they can't discriminate against me on the basis of me getting an illness through the course?
    Any help would be great
    They may make exceptions where extenuating circumstances have been at play, however only the university admissons themselves can tell you if they will. You also need to consider funding.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you drop out rather than take a year's leave?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Agree with both of the above.

You will have to talk to them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.