Confused about photons Watch

Rubberbandit
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
We've been told that the energy of a photon is only dependent on wavelength, but the equation E = (hc)/λ, shows that E is dependent on c, the speed of the photon too.
I understand that h is a constant, so does not affect the energy, but I thought that the speed of the photon can vary as it enters different mediums with different refractive indices. For example, the speed of the photon decreases as it goes from air to glass. Would this not mean that the speed of the photon can also affect the photon energy?
batswarrior3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rubberbandit)
We've been told that the energy of a photon is only dependent on wavelength, but the equation E = (hc)/λ, shows that E is dependent on c, the speed of the photon too.
I understand that h is a constant, so does not affect the energy, but I thought that the speed of the photon can vary as it enters different mediums with different refractive indices. For example, the speed of the photon decreases as it goes from air to glass. Would this not mean that the speed of the photon can also affect the photon energy?
From what I understand c is the speed of light and is a constant and therefore doesn't change as a result. The only value that affects it is wavelength as h (planck's constant is also a constant).

*Also doing as physics and trying to wrap my head around this last section *
Adomas1990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My friend, photons travel only at the speed of light. So the top bit of equation is technically constant

Posted from TSR Mobile
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
C is constant, the wavelength does however change in a medium
KyleBroflovski
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rubberbandit)
The "speed" is always constant for a photon, it's an elementary particle that doesn't interact with the higgs field, thus the speed has to be 299,792,458 m/s, otherwise it would't be a photon anymore!

When light travels through a vacuum there's nothing to "bump" into, but if enters another medium, say, glass there's a lot of stuff to bump into, so the photon bumps around and moves through the substance in a zigzag pattern, thus to us it seems the photon slowed down, it didn't, it just had to travel a longer distance because it was bumping around. The denser the material the more stuff it'll bump into, the longer it'll take to reach the other end, but it's speed remains the same.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (582)
80.17%
Leave (144)
19.83%

Watched Threads