How do you know what is medically important Watch

jsmith6131
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Following on from my previous post (here) I am wondering how you decide if something is important enough to tell your doctor

For example, if your doctor asks you how's your health and you're generally fine but have had a stomach ache on-and-off for a few days how would you decide if you should tell them

Thank you
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jsmith6131)
Following on from my previous post (here) I am wondering how you decide if something is important enough to tell your doctor

For example, if your doctor asks you how's your health and you're generally fine but have had a stomach ache on-and-off for a few days how would you decide if you should tell them

Thank you
Generally I mention any issues that are abnormal for me to my doctor, but I only go to the GP if I m confident it's not a virus for instance or something minor that I feel a few days rest would sort out, as I d try to self treat at home or speak to my pharmacist for that 1st.
Karaleigh19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Basically what has already been said. I mention anything that is abnormal for me. Anything that seems off, I'll mention it. Obviously, if I just feel sick etc, I won't go to the doctors unless it lasts for a week or two and is uncomfortable/causing me pain.

You should generally go for anything that causes you pain/discomfort.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A good rule is to wait it out for a few weeks, if the symptoms are still present after that time with no sign of improvement, or they are getting progressively worse, then it's probably a good idea to see a doctor.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Karaleigh19)
Basically what has already been said. I mention anything that is abnormal for me. Anything that seems off, I'll mention it. Obviously, if I just feel sick etc, I won't go to the doctors unless it lasts for a week or two and is uncomfortable/causing me pain.

You should generally go for anything that causes you pain/discomfort.
Same. I had to go to the GP last year because I was really dehydrated, no matter what was I drinking. (according the medication I'm on, I have to see someone quickly if this happens) At some point, I had an upset stomach. I have IBS; so it's nothing unusual and nothing for me to worry about. I was asked about my stomach and explained it's normal for me. if I hadn't been asked, I wouldn't have mentioned it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (539)
80.21%
Leave (133)
19.79%

Watched Threads