The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Religious Studies 2016 Thread

13 days till the exam and I still can't find anything on Religious Studies on here so decided to make my own thread...

What units are you doing for Philosophy and Ethics? Anyone got any tips?

Going to be posting some revision material and PowerPoints this week ☺😊

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing the marriage and euthanasia units.
Reply 2
Original post by iamastudent101
I'm doing the marriage and euthanasia units.

Are you doing short course?
no
Original post by sstudyacc
13 days till the exam and I still can't find anything on Religious Studies on here so decided to make my own thread...

What units are you doing for Philosophy and Ethics? Anyone got any tips?

Going to be posting some revision material and PowerPoints this week ☺😊

Doesn't look like there are many people doing this board for Religious Studies, I am though.

For the Ethics papers, I am doing: Religion and Equality, War, Peace and Justice, Medical Ethics, and Poverty and Wealth.

I really struggle to remember key teachings for these units, especially specific quotes. Tips - have at least 3/4 quotes or teachings in Part D or E, even if your answer isn't that detailed, evidence shows that you are knowledgeable in this subject. Aim to write at least, or about a side for Part E questions.

Any tips you got?
Reply 5
Original post by Ishan_2000
Doesn't look like there are many people doing this board for Religious Studies, I am though.

For the Ethics papers, I am doing: Religion and Equality, War, Peace and Justice, Medical Ethics, and Poverty and Wealth.

I really struggle to remember key teachings for these units, especially specific quotes. Tips - have at least 3/4 quotes or teachings in Part D or E, even if your answer isn't that detailed, evidence shows that you are knowledgeable in this subject. Aim to write at least, or about a side for Part E questions.

Any tips you got?

Sorry I've been a bit inactive! Doing the same units apart from Povery and Wealth.

I would definitely say for Part E focus on your own view and evaluating the for and against points. Make sure you have evidence/quotes for your own view.

For the religious teachings, make sure you go through the key topics in each unit and summarise them in three sentences.

Usually I would aim to finish Part A - D in ten minutes for one side and for Part E in twenty minutes for around two sides.

I would also say start with the unit your least confident with out of the two.
Sorry I've been a bit inactive! Doing the same units apart from Povery and Wealth.

I would definitely say for Part E focus on your own view and evaluating the for and against points. Make sure you have evidence/quotes for your own view.

For the religious teachings, make sure you go through the key topics in each unit and summarise them in three sentences.

Usually I would aim to finish Part A - D in ten minutes for one side and for Part E in twenty minutes for around two sides.

I would also say start with the unit your least confident with out of the two.

Yeah, I agree with all that. Good luck then, the exam in in 6 days now!
Reply 7
Original post by Ishan_2000
Yeah, I agree with all that. Good luck then, the exam in in 6 days now!

You too! Let me know how you find it :smile:
If anyone want's some great Ethics/ Philosophy videos (for OCR GCSE), they are here:
Philosophy - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwmosI8c17K3qjTI7YkXKlK9ZMFU_Saa
Ethics - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwmosI8c17J3wJt3j9SJ6Hod0q7JL2Sz

Will be watching them loads over the weekend.
Good luck and thank me later.
Reply 9
Original post by mrtum3000
If anyone want's some great Ethics/ Philosophy videos (for OCR GCSE), they are here:
Philosophy - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwmosI8c17K3qjTI7YkXKlK9ZMFU_Saa
Ethics - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwmosI8c17J3wJt3j9SJ6Hod0q7JL2Sz

Will be watching them loads over the weekend.
Good luck and thank me later.

Thank you!

These are so useful just started watching them - might just be my source of revision this weekend..
Thank you!

These are so useful just started watching them - might just be my source of revision this weekend..

Tell me what you get in August!
Thought I'd share how I like to answer the questions. I am doing Christianity for the paper tomorrow which I know is Q2, Q8 and Q14 (I feel like it's helpful to know this before you go into the exam but thats just me). I feel most confident on Q2 - Human relationships so I'll lay this out for that:

2.a) Often a word or phrase you have to define. Always say the definition AND, if you can, give an example (e.g. contraception is a method of preventing pregnancy during sex. An example of this is a barrier method like a condom.)
b) Often asks you to identify 2 christian responses to an issue (e.g. Christians believe that a marriage cannot be dissolved, hence you cannot divorce your partner, and that remarriage is adultery.) Whilst it says identify, I like to ensure the mark by explaining it a little
c) 1st PEE question = 1x PEE paragraph: asks you to describe a christian belief or state 3 reasons on an issue (if so take same form as 2.b). for describe: state the response to an issue by Christians from a specific church (e.g. RCC or Free Churches) then explain the belief using a quote/parable/teaching
d) 2nd PEE question = 2x PEE paragraphs: asks you to explain a religious response(s) to an issue: state the response (either supports or doesn't support) then explain view using a quote/parable/teaching. Do this again for the OTHER SIDE (e.g. if you've done for now do against): state the argument and explain view using teaching/parable/quote. For this question I like to use at least 2 quotes per paragraph.
e) 3rd PEE question = 4x PEE paragraphs (if its worth double the marks you need to double your response): gives you a statement to "discuss:" - RCC/FC agree with statement PEE paragraph -FC/RCC disagree with this statement PEE
- Buddhist/Hindu/Islam/any other religious response PEE paragraph - your response + PEE (your evidence can simply be "i don't agree with this because women are capable of doing the same tasks as man so we should be given the same opportunity).
I'm doing the full course RE, and my first RE exams are tomorrow which are B603 and B604. I'm doing relationships and medical ethics for B603 and peace and justice and equality for B604. The religion we're doing is Christianity. One tip I found was good was when giving your opinion for the e) question, try and say how others might oppose that. Apparently examiners like that.
Reply 14
Original post by HouseOfRichman
Thought I'd share how I like to answer the questions. I am doing Christianity for the paper tomorrow which I know is Q2, Q8 and Q14 (I feel like it's helpful to know this before you go into the exam but thats just me). I feel most confident on Q2 - Human relationships so I'll lay this out for that:

2.a) Often a word or phrase you have to define. Always say the definition AND, if you can, give an example (e.g. contraception is a method of preventing pregnancy during sex. An example of this is a barrier method like a condom.)
b) Often asks you to identify 2 christian responses to an issue (e.g. Christians believe that a marriage cannot be dissolved, hence you cannot divorce your partner, and that remarriage is adultery.) Whilst it says identify, I like to ensure the mark by explaining it a little
c) 1st PEE question = 1x PEE paragraph: asks you to describe a christian belief or state 3 reasons on an issue (if so take same form as 2.b). for describe: state the response to an issue by Christians from a specific church (e.g. RCC or Free Churches) then explain the belief using a quote/parable/teaching
d) 2nd PEE question = 2x PEE paragraphs: asks you to explain a religious response(s) to an issue: state the response (either supports or doesn't support) then explain view using a quote/parable/teaching. Do this again for the OTHER SIDE (e.g. if you've done for now do against): state the argument and explain view using teaching/parable/quote. For this question I like to use at least 2 quotes per paragraph.
e) 3rd PEE question = 4x PEE paragraphs (if its worth double the marks you need to double your response): gives you a statement to "discuss:" - RCC/FC agree with statement PEE paragraph -FC/RCC disagree with this statement PEE
- Buddhist/Hindu/Islam/any other religious response PEE paragraph - your response + PEE (your evidence can simply be "i don't agree with this because women are capable of doing the same tasks as man so we should be given the same opportunity).

I think you're doing a different exam board to us but the tips are more than useful otherwise thank you! 😊 Ours is in the same style with part a) - e) but we answer on four different religions
I'm doing Relationships and Medical ethics Christianity and Peace and Justice and equality Hinduism (apparently hardly any people do this!)

Good luck everyone and remember, PEE!
Has anyone got any killer quotes haha?
Reply 17
Original post by katodizzle
I'æm doing the full course RE, and my first RE exams are tomorrow which are B603 and B604. I'm doing relationships and medical ethics for B603 and peace and justice and equality for B604. The religion we're doing is Christianity. One tip I found was good was when giving your opinion for the e) question, try and say how others might oppose that. Apparently examiners like that.

Oooooh never thought of including that! Thanks x
I think you're doing a different exam board to us but the tips are more than useful otherwise thank you! 😊 Ours is in the same style with part a) - e) but we answer on four different religions

Really? I'm doing OCR Religious Studies B with B603/01 and B603/02 tomorrow. It's the same content as what you're talking about but you can do choose to do all 4 questions on a single religion rather than a different religion for each unit? Let me know...
Original post by katodizzle
I'm doing the full course RE, and my first RE exams are tomorrow which are B603 and B604. I'm doing relationships and medical ethics for B603 and peace and justice and equality for B604. The religion we're doing is Christianity. One tip I found was good was when giving your opinion for the e) question, try and say how others might oppose that. Apparently examiners like that.

That's an awesome idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest