Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was just curious. If there is a high unemployment rate within Computing/IT subjects, why are the government providing people with the opportunity to study it as a second degree. Meaning why is funding available to study it as a second higher education qualification, when other subjects are all a no go?

Doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks

Boba
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Boba_fett1)
    Hi there,

I was just curious. If there is a high unemployment rate within Computing/IT subjects, why are the government providing people with the opportunity to study it as a second degree. Meaning why is funding available to study it as a second higher education qualification, when other subjects are all a no go?

Doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks

Boba
    Funding isn't available from the government to study IT as a second degree. ELQ exempt subjects only cover NHS funded degrees.

The only exception to this is for PART TIME study where ELQ rules are relaxed for all science and engineering courses (including IT) - but part time study is only offered tuition fee support and no living costs

ReputationRep:
    I find that there is a couple of reasons why computer science is regarded as having the highest employability rate.

1) Some less capable students will pick easier modules in their second and third years, such as "Computers and the law" (which we have in my uni), rather than some kind of programming or algorithms modules. The easier modules aren't in demand in industry so help to raising the unemployment rate.

2) Typical IT jobs and other less technical roles tend to be lumped into the category of computer science so these roles also aren't highly in demand.

So if you pick the right modules, you won't have to worry about unemployment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.