Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OK sooooo pretty much all my teenage years (well from like 14) I have had very dramatic mood shifts. I go from being super depressed sometimes to the extent that I cannot get out of bed for weeks, to feeling like I do now which is very high, fast paced, energetic, impulsive etc. I do also feel relatively normal in between sometimes. I think this fits the criteria for bipolar, but I have been with mental health services for yearrsss and havven't got a diagnosis.
    I have had a pretty bad time with the NHS because theyy basically just said it was "normal teenage mood swings" but I knowww that isn't the case because I mean I see other teenagers and they're all in control and calm and stuff. I do have anxiety and they always just focus on that.
    so what do I do? go private? Or is it not bipolar and they;re right? halp pls.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you now?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Going private may not always mean you'll get a diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OK sooooo pretty much all my teenage years (well from like 14) I have had very dramatic mood shifts. I go from being super depressed sometimes to the extent that I cannot get out of bed for weeks, to feeling like I do now which is very high, fast paced, energetic, impulsive etc. I do also feel relatively normal in between sometimes. I think this fits the criteria for bipolar, but I have been with mental health services for yearrsss and havven't got a diagnosis.
    I have had a pretty bad time with the NHS because theyy basically just said it was "normal teenage mood swings" but I knowww that isn't the case because I mean I see other teenagers and they're all in control and calm and stuff. I do have anxiety and they always just focus on that.
    Why do you want a diagnosis so badly? It probably won't change they way they are treating you. Clearly, it looks like they don't think your symptoms are enough to qualify for a diagnosis which doesn't mean they don't acknowledge them. Or if you are underage, they're unlikely to diagnose you with bipolar unless it's very severe.

ReputationRep:
    You do actually have the right to a second opinion on the NHS, so you could try that before going private. Private is pretty expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I understand the want for a diagnosis, but it probably won't change the treatment that much if at all. If you are under 18 it is extremely unlikely they will hand out a diagnosis.

As others have mentioned you are entitled to a second opinion which I reccommend taking if you aren't happy with your treatment.

A final point to make is that depression can and frequently does cause mood swings, which would explain why you feel your swings are worse than that of a normal teenager. Bipolar mania is very obvious when it presents and if you were under care during it it would be obvious. Hypomania is harder to detect but still dangerous - a lot more than just feeling energetic and high.

tl;dr:

Ask for a second opinion and see where that goes but be prepared for nothing in your treatment to really change.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.