Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm not all too familiar with Les Miserables, I know the basis of it and such. but I was hoping to write my comparative essay on one of Shakespeare's romantic tragedies and Les Miserables, seeing as love and compassion are critical themes in both. But I was hoping it would be a comparison suitable for a high grade at AS level English Lit. any help or advice is much appreciated
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AnonymousBrit)
    So, I'm not all too familiar with Les Miserables, I know the basis of it and such. but I was hoping to write my comparative essay on one of Shakespeare's romantic tragedies and Les Miserables, seeing as love and compassion are critical themes in both. But I was hoping it would be a comparison suitable for a high grade at AS level English Lit. any help or advice is much appreciated
    Les Mis is a HUGE book, like I mean - HUGE! It explores SO many different sides to love and compassion it might be a bit hard to focus on 2 aspects of it (depending on word limit).

I honestly suggest you do something else. And this definately depends on what Shakespeare text you decide to compare it with.

Shakespeare likes to interlink his love themes with a lot of social and political context. This will be even more difficult for you if these conflicts do not apply well with Les Mis.

I suggest you read a few Shakespeare texts then pick a partnered text.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Les Mis is a HUGE book, like I mean - HUGE! It explores SO many different sides to love and compassion it might be a bit hard to focus on 2 aspects of it (depending on word limit).

I honestly suggest you do something else. And this definately depends on what Shakespeare text you decide to compare it with.

Shakespeare likes to interlink his love themes with a lot of social and political context. This will be even more difficult for you if these conflicts do not apply well with Les Mis.

I suggest you read a few Shakespeare texts then pick a partnered text.
    There is no word limit, and i'm open to writing about more than just two elements. I think the difference in the way the themes are conveyed, as you mention with Shakespeare interlinking his love themes with social and political context would actually be a good point for the contrast aspects of the essay. The text I was hoping to write from shakespeare would be A winter's tale
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    There is no word limit, and i'm open to writing about more than just two elements. I think the difference in the way the themes are conveyed, as you mention with Shakespeare interlinking his love themes with social and political context would actually be a good point for the contrast aspects of the essay. The text I was hoping to write from shakespeare would be A winter's tale
    Oh there is not? Have you ever considered doing three texts maybe? Yeah it definitely will, altthough I have no knowledge on 19th Century French society aha. But if that's your thing then go for it!

I studied Tale for a Shakespeare module at uni last semester and it's a decent novel. It doesn't have much romantic love, but more of familial love in it really. i think perhaps Merchant of Venice, Antony and Cleopatra or Romeo and Juliet that have the love and compassion theme you're seeking.

ReputationRep:
    Oh there is not? Have you ever considered doing three texts maybe? Yeah it definitely will, altthough I have no knowledge on 19th Century French society aha. But if that's your thing then go for it!

I studied Tale for a Shakespeare module at uni last semester and it's a decent novel. It doesn't have much romantic love, but more of familial love in it really. i think perhaps Merchant of Venice, Antony and Cleopatra or Romeo and Juliet that have the love and compassion theme you're seeking.
    It's a bit of an odd situation, I'm writing three essays just to demonstrate my academic capabilities in terms of English Literature, ( i'm trying to get into a college for A levels, as I came from Canada before graduating high school) so I was hoping a comparison of a Shakespearean play and les mis would give a broader perspective of what I can do. perhaps Merchant of Venice and Les mis? seeing as love and compassion, social injustice and such are key themes in both. what do you think?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    It's a bit of an odd situation, I'm writing three essays just to demonstrate my academic capabilities in terms of English Literature, ( i'm trying to get into a college for A levels, as I came from Canada before graduating high school) so I was hoping a comparison of a Shakespearean play and les mis would give a broader perspective of what I can do. perhaps Merchant of Venice and Les mis? seeing as love and compassion, social injustice and such are key themes in both. what do you think?
    Oh right, I understand. So it's like a test basically, just to work out whether you're capable or not.

I think you just have to choose texts you've read, liked and understand. I would honestly suggest changing your prose text. As a tutor and English Literature undergrad, I would not recommend Les Mis at least until 3rd year of uni because it is such a heavy book full of literary techniques. You need to have great skill in order to talk about it at such a low level (GCSE level) if are hoping to go onto the next level (which is A-level).

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, I understand. So it's like a test basically, just to work out whether you're capable or not.

I think you just have to choose texts you've read, liked and understand. I would honestly suggest changing your prose text. As a tutor and English Literature undergrad, I would not recommend Les Mis at least until 3rd year of uni because it is such a heavy book full of literary techniques. You need to have great skill in order to talk about it at such a low level (GCSE level) if are hoping to go onto the next level (which is A-level).
    I understand but do you think i'd still be able to create a compelling piece using say A Summer Nights Dream and A Winters Tale? (the comparison of the titles amuses me)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I understand but do you think i'd still be able to create a compelling piece using say A Summer Nights Dream and A Winters Tale? (the comparison of the titles amuses me)
    As long as you can make your essay a convincing argument, you can (in theory) compare any text you so desire. Two Shakespeare will be fun and quite hard. But I think if this is an admissions test, I would perhaps study two genres because that demonstrates more comparative skills.

I have never read Night's Dream before so not too sure. But, if you're asking whether you can compare the title's meaning with one another then that would be a very interesting essay!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.