AnonymousBrit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, I'm not all too familiar with Les Miserables, I know the basis of it and such. but I was hoping to write my comparative essay on one of Shakespeare's romantic tragedies and Les Miserables, seeing as love and compassion are critical themes in both. But I was hoping it would be a comparison suitable for a high grade at AS level English Lit. any help or advice is much appreciated
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousBrit)
So, I'm not all too familiar with Les Miserables, I know the basis of it and such. but I was hoping to write my comparative essay on one of Shakespeare's romantic tragedies and Les Miserables, seeing as love and compassion are critical themes in both. But I was hoping it would be a comparison suitable for a high grade at AS level English Lit. any help or advice is much appreciated
Les Mis is a HUGE book, like I mean - HUGE! It explores SO many different sides to love and compassion it might be a bit hard to focus on 2 aspects of it (depending on word limit).

I honestly suggest you do something else. And this definately depends on what Shakespeare text you decide to compare it with.

Shakespeare likes to interlink his love themes with a lot of social and political context. This will be even more difficult for you if these conflicts do not apply well with Les Mis.

I suggest you read a few Shakespeare texts then pick a partnered text.
AnonymousBrit
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Les Mis is a HUGE book, like I mean - HUGE! It explores SO many different sides to love and compassion it might be a bit hard to focus on 2 aspects of it (depending on word limit).

I honestly suggest you do something else. And this definately depends on what Shakespeare text you decide to compare it with.

Shakespeare likes to interlink his love themes with a lot of social and political context. This will be even more difficult for you if these conflicts do not apply well with Les Mis.

I suggest you read a few Shakespeare texts then pick a partnered text.
There is no word limit, and i'm open to writing about more than just two elements. I think the difference in the way the themes are conveyed, as you mention with Shakespeare interlinking his love themes with social and political context would actually be a good point for the contrast aspects of the essay. The text I was hoping to write from shakespeare would be A winter's tale
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is no word limit, and i'm open to writing about more than just two elements. I think the difference in the way the themes are conveyed, as you mention with Shakespeare interlinking his love themes with social and political context would actually be a good point for the contrast aspects of the essay. The text I was hoping to write from shakespeare would be A winter's tale
Oh there is not? Have you ever considered doing three texts maybe? Yeah it definitely will, altthough I have no knowledge on 19th Century French society aha. But if that's your thing then go for it!

I studied Tale for a Shakespeare module at uni last semester and it's a decent novel. It doesn't have much romantic love, but more of familial love in it really. i think perhaps Merchant of Venice, Antony and Cleopatra or Romeo and Juliet that have the love and compassion theme you're seeking.
AnonymousBrit
Rep:
?
Oh there is not? Have you ever considered doing three texts maybe? Yeah it definitely will, altthough I have no knowledge on 19th Century French society aha. But if that's your thing then go for it!

I studied Tale for a Shakespeare module at uni last semester and it's a decent novel. It doesn't have much romantic love, but more of familial love in it really. i think perhaps Merchant of Venice, Antony and Cleopatra or Romeo and Juliet that have the love and compassion theme you're seeking.
It's a bit of an odd situation, I'm writing three essays just to demonstrate my academic capabilities in terms of English Literature, ( i'm trying to get into a college for A levels, as I came from Canada before graduating high school) so I was hoping a comparison of a Shakespearean play and les mis would give a broader perspective of what I can do. perhaps Merchant of Venice and Les mis? seeing as love and compassion, social injustice and such are key themes in both. what do you think?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a bit of an odd situation, I'm writing three essays just to demonstrate my academic capabilities in terms of English Literature, ( i'm trying to get into a college for A levels, as I came from Canada before graduating high school) so I was hoping a comparison of a Shakespearean play and les mis would give a broader perspective of what I can do. perhaps Merchant of Venice and Les mis? seeing as love and compassion, social injustice and such are key themes in both. what do you think?
Oh right, I understand. So it's like a test basically, just to work out whether you're capable or not.

I think you just have to choose texts you've read, liked and understand. I would honestly suggest changing your prose text. As a tutor and English Literature undergrad, I would not recommend Les Mis at least until 3rd year of uni because it is such a heavy book full of literary techniques. You need to have great skill in order to talk about it at such a low level (GCSE level) if are hoping to go onto the next level (which is A-level).
AnonymousBrit
Rep:
?
Oh right, I understand. So it's like a test basically, just to work out whether you're capable or not.

I think you just have to choose texts you've read, liked and understand. I would honestly suggest changing your prose text. As a tutor and English Literature undergrad, I would not recommend Les Mis at least until 3rd year of uni because it is such a heavy book full of literary techniques. You need to have great skill in order to talk about it at such a low level (GCSE level) if are hoping to go onto the next level (which is A-level).
I understand but do you think i'd still be able to create a compelling piece using say A Summer Nights Dream and A Winters Tale? (the comparison of the titles amuses me)
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I understand but do you think i'd still be able to create a compelling piece using say A Summer Nights Dream and A Winters Tale? (the comparison of the titles amuses me)
As long as you can make your essay a convincing argument, you can (in theory) compare any text you so desire. Two Shakespeare will be fun and quite hard. But I think if this is an admissions test, I would perhaps study two genres because that demonstrates more comparative skills.

I have never read Night's Dream before so not too sure. But, if you're asking whether you can compare the title's meaning with one another then that would be a very interesting essay!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.1%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.66%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.65%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.76%
Financial worries (24)
6.98%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.36%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.1%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.27%

Watched Threads