Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I want to buy a bicycle for casual use e.g. cycling from A to B or just riding around the local park. I have no understanding of the types of bikes, e.g. mountain bikes etc.. So can anyone recommend me a bike or a type of bike for the uses mentioned above. Ideally less than a £100. I don't need anything fancy, just a standard, nice looking bike.

Cheers!

PS. I am a 21 y.o male, so no ladies or old people bikes!

ReputationRep:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/speciali...-bike-EV273371
    or perhaps a slightly better model http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...bike-2015-blue

ReputationRep:
    By no means am I an expert, but at that budget point you would get a much better spec if you buy second hand. Personally I wouldn't spend less than £300 on a bike for regular ideas I would want it to be durable, comfortable etc.

If you are planning on doing any off road cycling I recommend something with at least front suspension to make it more comfortable. If you are planning on sticking to road/cycle paths only then it's not necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    By no means am I an expert, but at that budget point you would get a much better spec if you buy second hand. Personally I wouldn't spend less than £300 on a bike for regular ideas I would want it to be durable, comfortable etc.

If you are planning on doing any off road cycling I recommend something with at least front suspension to make it more comfortable. If you are planning on sticking to road/cycle paths only then it's not necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my opinion £300 seems quite a lot, it is not something that I would use everyday, maybe once or twice a week so I don't need anything fancy. Can't seem to find much under £100 lol. I don't plan on doing anything off road, just riding along the road to the gym for example.

Is it normal to use a mountain bike for day to day riding on the road?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunTiger)
    In my opinion £300 seems quite a lot, it is not something that I would use everyday, maybe once or twice a week so I don't need anything fancy. Can't seem to find much under £100 lol. I don't plan on doing anything off road, just riding along the road to the gym for example.

Is it normal to use a mountain bike for day to day riding on the road?
    Haha! I shan't tell you how much my mountain bike actually cost then! Or how much my road bike or costing!

You can ride a mountain bike on the road without any real issue, plenty of people do. A road bike would just be a little faster but wouldn't make much difference if you're only commuting and not riding for sport

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! I shan't tell you how much my mountain bike actually cost then! Or how much my road bike or costing!

You can ride a mountain bike on the road without any real issue, plenty of people do. A road bike would just be a little faster but wouldn't make much difference if you're only commuting and not riding for sport

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say a road bike is significantly faster, but I am talking from one extreme to the other. I have a full sus mountain bike, but I also have a full on carbon road bike so they are worlds apart. I also couldnt get a set of wheels, let alone a whole bike for OPs budget. Even for £300 brand new, your looking at more than negligible compromises. I have no idea about second hand, maybe he can get a bargain but its still unlikely.
    I would rather spend the £100 on the relevant footwear and go mountain hiking or jogging etc.

(Original post by SunTiger)
    Hi

I want to buy a bicycle for casual use e.g. cycling from A to B or just riding around the local park. I have no understanding of the types of bikes, e.g. mountain bikes etc.. So can anyone recommend me a bike or a type of bike for the uses mentioned above. Ideally less than a £100. I don't need anything fancy, just a standard, nice looking bike.

Cheers!

PS. I am a 21 y.o male, so no ladies or old people bikes!
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/mens-hybrid-b.../xsrt/priceasc

And thats at the lower end of the range. Anything you do find for £100 will likely put you off cycling and thus a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    I would say a road bike is significantly faster, but I am talking from one extreme to the other. I have a full sus mountain bike, but I also have a full on carbon road bike so they are worlds apart. I also couldnt get a set of wheels, let alone a whole bike for OPs budget. Even for £300 brand new, your looking at more than negligible compromises. I have no idea about second hand, maybe he can get a bargain but its still unlikely.
    I would rather spend the £100 on the relevant footwear and go mountain hiking or jogging etc.
    Fair. I was just thinking that at around the £100 budget the difference may be much smaller and less of a consideration if they're simply commuting?

I haven't got bucket loads to spend but am looking at around the £1000 mark for a road bike. I spent £500 on my current bike but that was my first bike in over 10 years so i wasn't ready for too big a financial commitment!

As an aside, what are your opinions on disc brakes on road bikes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair. I was just thinking that at around the £100 budget the difference may be much smaller and less of a consideration if they're simply commuting?

I haven't got bucket loads to spend but am looking at around the £1000 mark for a road bike. I spent £500 on my current bike but that was my first bike in over 10 years so i wasn't ready for too big a financial commitment!

As an aside, what are your opinions on disc brakes on road bikes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ime rim brakes on road bikes are almost, if not just as strong as discs in the dry. However if you ride much in the wet then discs have a big advantage here in stopping power. Also rim brakes wear the rims down over time but I havent found this much of an issue. Another thing to consider is long winding descents. Long and hard on the brakes can apparently cause rims to overheat and cause a tyre blowout.
    Ultimately its down to preference. I wouldnt choose a road bike over another just because it had disc brakes.
    Now on a mountain bike or a commuter thats a different story.

Havent ridden many bikes over a grand, but the one I got is ****ing awsome. However the Alex wheels that came with it were absolute trash and I upgraded them within a few weeks. Lower spec wheels on bikes seems to be common practice on all but the high end bikes from what I read, they are often the first components to be upgraded. I would expect Shimano 105 spec or equivalent for that money too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Ime rim brakes on road bikes are almost, if not just as strong as discs in the dry. However if you ride much in the wet then discs have a big advantage here in stopping power. Also rim brakes wear the rims down over time but I havent found this much of an issue. Another thing to consider is long winding descents. Long and hard on the brakes can apparently cause rims to overheat and cause a tyre blowout.
    Ultimately its down to preference. I wouldnt choose a road bike over another just because it had disc brakes.
    Now on a mountain bike or a commuter thats a different story.

Havent ridden many bikes over a grand, but the one I got is ****ing awsome. However the Alex wheels that came with it were absolute trash and I upgraded them within a few weeks. Lower spec wheels on bikes seems to be common practice on all but the high end bikes from what I read, they are often the first components to be upgraded. I would expect Shimano 105 spec or equivalent for that money too.
    Yeah the bike I'm looking at has 105. Just undecided whether to get the disc version or not. Have them on the mountain bike and love them but not sure if I'll use the road bike enough in the rain to make the extra money worthwhile. Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.