Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I can do most basic proofs by the P.MI. easily but I'm struggling with this one:

\mathrm{A\ sequence\ (a_n)\ is\ defined\ by\ a_1=1\ together\ with\ the\ recursive\ formula\ }\(a_{n+1}=\frac{2+2a_n}{2+a_n}

\mathrm{Prove,\ by\ indction\ that\ 1 \leq, a_n \leq 2\ \forall\ n\in\mathbb{N}}

Obviously, for the base case we just state a_1=1\ \mathrm{and}\  1 \leq 1 \leq 2\
    Then assume n=k is true and show that n=k+1 is true but I'm not sure how to do this?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Math12345)
    Assume 1\leq a_n\leq2 for some n \in \mathbb{N}.

Then a_{n+1} = \frac{2+2*2}{2+1} = 2 for maximum (need larger numerator and smaller denominator) and a_{n+1} = \frac{2+2*1}{2+2} = 1 for minimum (need smaller numerator and larger denominator).

So it is true for n+1 since 1 \leq a_{n+1} \leq 2.

Done.
    You'd also have to explain/prove that it's an increasing sequence.

I would rewrite the fraction

\displaystyle a_{k+1}=\frac{2+2a_k}{2+a_k} = \frac{4+2a_k-2}{2+a_k} = 2 - \frac{2}{2+a_k}

Then it's clearer why 1\leq a_{k+1} \leq 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)

I would rewrite the fraction

\displaystyle a_{k+1}=\frac{2+2a_k}{2+a_k} = \frac{4+2a_k-2}{2+a_k} = 2 - \frac{2}{2+a_k}

Then it's clearer why 1\leq a_{k+1} \leq 2.
    Ah I see, thanks.

(Original post by notnek)
    Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Why is that?
    I think he's trying to say if i prove it is increasing then I can sub in the end points to show a_{n+1} is bounded between 1 and 2.

Otherwise 1.5 could be used for example etc.

(Original post by Math12345)
    I think he's trying to say if i prove it is increasing then I can sub in the end points to show a_{n+1} is bounded between 1 and 2.

Otherwise 1.5 could be used for example etc.
    I thought you had justified that with your argument.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you had justified that with your argument.
    How so? By maximising and minimising the denominator (or vice versa)?

It's not really a justification since both the numerator and denominators are functions of a_n; so you need to optimise them jointly. (i.e: why is an = 1 the minimum and why is an = 2 the maximum? The answer is because it's an increasing sequence).

For example, f(x) = \frac{1-x^2}{x+2} between -1 \leq x \leq 1, it's not true that the minimum occurs at x=-1 and the maximum occurs at x=1 or at x=0 by "maximising the numerator and minimsing the numerator" those arguments don't work without justifying that it's an increasing sequence (which this one isn't)).

(Original post by Zacken)
    How so? By maximising and minimising the denominator (or vice versa)?

It's not really a justification since both the numerator and denominators are functions of a_n; so you need to optimise them jointly. (i.e: why is an = 1 the minimum and why is an = 2 the maximum? The answer is because it's an increasing sequence).

For example, f(x) = \frac{1-x^2}{x+2} between -1 \leq x \leq 1, it's not true that the minimum occurs at x=-1 and the maximum occurs at x=1 or at x=0 by "maximising the numerator and minimsing the numerator" those arguments don't work without justifying that it's an increasing sequence (which this one isn't)).
    Ok, I wasn't claiming that the argument could be generalised, only that it was justifiable in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I wasn't claiming that the argument could be generalised, only that it was justifiable in this case.
    Only justifiable if it was an increasing sequence, which is precisely what notnek said, that he hadn't justified that it was an increasing sequence.

(Original post by Zacken)
    Only justifiable if it was an increasing sequence, which is precisely what notnek said, that he hadn't justified that it was an increasing sequence.
    I don't get what this has to do with whether the sequence is increasing or not.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get what this has to do with whether the sequence is increasing or not.
    The bounds of the inequality are the point at which the extrema occur if it's an increasing sequence.

This is how I essentially understood the guy's post (I have obviously added a little rigour)
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 71
Size:  87.4 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.