Question about Ofsted reports (short version) :)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Angus Rodgers
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
How reliable are Ofsted evaluations of the quality of teaching at a school, and (I know this is a
very subjective question) is quality of teaching the most important factor in choosing a school?

I ask because I have chosen one school over another because of the comments on teaching quality in
its Ofsted report, when almost every other indicator was pointing the other way, and in particular,
my daughter had her heart set on going to the other school, which I also really liked on our visits.

My daughter is very upset about the change of plan, and there is still (just) time to change our
minds if necessary. I don't know if I am doing the right thing, and would like to get some feedback
on this one aspect of the decision.

(My other message probably threw in too much detail. This matter is important enough for us that I
feel justified in posting again on the same subject. But don't worry, I won't try a third time!)

Here are the data that convinced me:

Teaching at school B:

24% Excellent 45% Very good 26% Good 5% Satisfactory % Unsatisfactory (or worse)

(Based, I now see, on a sample of only 38 lessons. I don't know how to do the calculations, but this
seems too small a basis from which to try to draw any firm conclusions.)

Teaching at school A:

13% Very good (or better) 75% Satisfactory or good 12% Less than satisfactory

(Sample of 195 lessons, covering all ages, not just years 7--11, as in the data for school B.)

--
Angus Rodgers ([email protected] eats spam; reply to [email protected])
Roger Watson
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > How reliable are Ofsted evaluations of the quality of teaching at a school, and (I know this is[/q2]
[q2]> > a very subjective question) is quality of teaching the most important factor in choosing a[/q2]
[q2]> > school?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > etc etc etc[/q2]

From my experience..... pretty unreliable.... check out the state of the toilets in the two schools.
Pick the cleanest toilets, I've heard its about as good as relying on an ofsted report. and there
seems to be a correlation there. Roger ) ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®® Join the Staff
Room Web Ring http://www.wats0n.freeserve.co.uk ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®®
Gordon Moore
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Roger Watson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] reeserve.co.uk>...
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > > How reliable are Ofsted evaluations of the quality of teaching at a school, and (I know this[/q3]
[q3]> > > is a very subjective question) is quality of teaching the most important factor in choosing a[/q3]
[q3]> > > school?[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > > etc etc etc[/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> From my experience..... pretty unreliable.... check out the state of the toilets in the two[/q1]
[q1]> schools. Pick the cleanest toilets, I've heard its about as good as relying on an ofsted report.[/q1]
[q1]> and there seems to be a correlation there. Roger ) ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®® Join[/q1]
[q1]> the Staff Room Web Ring http://www.wats0n.freeserve.co.uk ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®® ®®®®®®[/q1]

Which school seems to you to be the happiest? Which school's ethos will make you happiest? Kids seem
to get used to things pretty quickly whatever the initial situation!

Gordon
User 1951
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:49:24 +0000, Angus Rodgers <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>How reliable are Ofsted evaluations of the quality of teaching at a school, and (I know this is a[/q1]
[q1]>very subjective question) is quality of teaching the most important factor in choosing a school?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I ask because I have chosen one school over another because of the comments on teaching quality in[/q1]
[q1]>its Ofsted report, when almost every other indicator was pointing the other way, and in[/q1]
[q1]>particular, my daughter had her heart set on going to the other school, which I also really liked[/q1]
[q1]>on our visits.[/q1]

Angus Prune? Didn't they name a tune after you?

OFSTED assessments of teachers are often based on a half-qualified or unqualified observer observing
half a lesson. Anyone could pull the wool over their eyes.

How to choose a school. Well we chose the one all our daughter's friends were going to. Her
happiness seemed more important than the musings of some jaundiced failed ex-teacher. ****
http://user1951.tripod.com ****
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads