The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jen1097
I could only think of one advantage and one disadvantage for weather forecasting :/
What did everyone put for a definition of data compression and a benefit ?

Data compression is making files smaller by using techniques such as zipping, and it uses less storage space on the hard disk, but you had to link it to the 'estate agents'!
Original post by OwenSallows
Data compression is making files smaller by using techniques such as zipping, and it uses less storage space on the hard disk, but you had to link it to the 'estate agents'!

I didn't mention zipping as that isn't strictly a feature of presentation software. I just stated that compression involves the use of computer software algorithms to achieve a smaller file size for the presentation.

This has never been up before so we don't know how strict they will be.

Benefit for estate agents was that the presentation could be more readily transmitted over the internet or loaded onto a USB stick etc... due to the smaller file size. This is particularly beneficial if the presentation contains videos or images, which they quite often do in recent years.
Original post by PedanticStudent
I didn't mention zipping as that isn't strictly a feature of presentation software. I just stated that compression involves the use of computer software algorithms to achieve a smaller file size for the presentation.

This has never been up before so we don't know how strict they will be.

Benefit for estate agents was that the presentation could be more readily transmitted over the internet or loaded onto a USB stick etc... due to the smaller file size. This is particularly beneficial if the presentation contains videos or images, which they quite often do in recent years.

Ahh yeah that would make sense, one mark lost then :beard:
Also just to add, hope everyone wrote about data and knowledge for the first question and not information, i'm pretty sure that is the first time they have only used those 2, could be wrong though? And question 1b was so poorly worded!
Reply 324
what do u guys think the grade boundaries are going to be ??
Original post by AA923
what do u guys think the grade boundaries are going to be ??

73 or 74 for full ums.
Reply 326
Same here, found the exam really easy. Also left the email question until last and had no search so I used the sort filter. Other than that, it was just as previous papers were and was a really good exam.

Anyone have the answers for the email question?
Original post by owenevans08
I thought exactly the same, managed to get six but it took some time.

Me too, but one of my points was complete BS lol
Original post by cayde
Same here, found the exam really easy. Also left the email question until last and had no search so I used the sort filter. Other than that, it was just as previous papers were and was a really good exam.

Anyone have the answers for the email question?

I said:

- Environmentally friendly (paperless office, reducing carbon footprint)
- Lower cost (given internet access is in place, it is cheaper than paying to send letters, especially for larger organisations)
- No need for the formality of a letter (more flexibility, can spend less time worrying about the postal code being correct etc) [ a little weak imo but hopefully I will get away with it]

However

- Emails can harbour malware and links to phishing sites, putting both organisational and personal information at risk

- Workplace bullying is a serious issue. The email system can be abused by employees to send mean messages etc to colleagues, this can diminish workplace relationships and lead to depression etc...
is there an unofficial mark scheme anywhere?
i think it went awful today 😓 everyone else thought it was easy tho 😬
Reply 331
73/80 for an A? I doubt it I think its gonna he 58 again out of 80 or like 60/80 to get an a
Original post by purplepandax
is there an unofficial mark scheme anywhere?

unlikely for this qualification. Not enough people do it.
Original post by AA923
73/80 for an A? I doubt it I think its gonna he 58 again out of 80 or like 60/80 to get an a

No. Not 73/80 for an A. 73/80 for max ums

an A is 96ums

max ums is 120ums.

The more UMS you get now, the easier it will be to get an A overall in the final a level.
Reply 334
I said:

- Environmentally friendly (paperless office, reducing carbon footprint)
- Lower cost (given internet access is in place, it is cheaper than paying to send letters, especially for larger organisations)
- No need for the formality of a letter (more flexibility, can spend less time worrying about the postal code being correct etc) [ a little weak imo but hopefully I will get away with it]

However

- Emails can harbour malware and links to phishing sites, putting both organisational and personal information at risk

- Workplace bullying is a serious issue. The email system can be abused by employees to send mean messages etc to colleagues, this can diminish workplace relationships and lead to depression etc...

Ahh, my answers differed slightly. Hopefully I'll still get a couple marks.

Adv:
Forwarding emails
Sending emails to multiple people (cc/bcc)

Disadv:
Junk/Spam
Email not suitable for personal messages (informing colleagues of being fired)
Limited file size
A few answers i did lots of spelling errors to
Reasons for encoding data :
Fewer trascription errors
less hard disk space required
faster proccessor
Problems = coarsen data leading to loss of percision give a example for 2nd mark
value judgement leading to inconsistency give example again for 2nd mark

Verification = check to ensure data is copied accurately from one medium to another , theres another definition also
Prof reading the system tells customer to read over address before moving on
double entry of data writing password in twice.

advantage of ICT system : data storage capacity plus example
ease of updating
back ups
predictive analysis
control output format eg make table
speed of communcations

weather forecast question advantage is that it can help farmers plan etc and predict when a hurricane might come so be prepared

diadvantage is that millions of equations need to be solved so super computer needed
cant predict freak storms
theres loads of advantage and disadvantages for this question :
Advantage of distance learning
teacher and learner not in same room
flexibility of time learn when you want and save time traveling
disadvantage is that theres no peer interaction

CAL or cbt advantage : work at own pace
customisation if learning diffcultty
monitor progress easily as feedback given quicker
diadvantage is that theres no collabaritive learning
cost of software and equipment

template - stored master document with predifned layour
link it to the question so letter informing .....ect so makes it look more professinal

animated transition - movement from one slide to another adding a effect eg fade
link to question again powerpoint explaining something to do with houses engages audienceect.

file compression : guessed on this one said that can compress customer details so that it takes up less space so that there is a faster processor and more space available .

Let me know what you think of my answers what you think is right and wrong
for those like me who studied mark schemes it was easy no question was asked that wasnt on a previous paper in some form.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emanny
Didn't do AS exam but doing A2 so if anyone is doing it too and have some predictions please post in the A2 thread. I also put some tips too😁.

Hope the exam went well for everyone.

Is there an A2 thread???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 337
No. Not 73/80 for an A. 73/80 for max ums

an A is 96ums

max ums is 120ums.

The more UMS you get now, the easier it will be to get an A overall in the final a level.

oh ni my question was what do u thing the raw mark will be for an A or B
Original post by cayde
Ahh, my answers differed slightly. Hopefully I'll still get a couple marks.

Adv:
Forwarding emails
Sending emails to multiple people (cc/bcc)

Disadv:
Junk/Spam
Email not suitable for personal messages (informing colleagues of being fired)
Limited file size

Mark scheme:

Any four from ( have to have at least one of each for full marks)Answers must be in context of workplaceAdvantages• Messages can be sent across the world for the price of a local phone call. / if got a systemcheaper than posting
You can send not only simple text messages but also attached files.
Documents and attachments are editable.
You can (use an address book to) send the same message to several different people forthe same cost as one call / at the same time
Don’t have to leave the house to send the information (teleworking) / disabled use.
Environmentally friendly / paperless office.
Global accessibility / Can pick it up anywhere (if qualified.)
Can store a copy to have an audit trail / can keep backups
Easier to find a stored email than a filed letter.
Gives a wider audience for advertising.

Disadvantages• You are reliant on the recipient having an email account / Users need to be computerliterate .(NOT Need an internet connection)
There are security and privacy issues. Confidential mail is travelling across a very publicnetwork.
E-mail attachments have proved to be a security ‘Achilles heel’, providing an entry point fordestructive viruses
Junk email can clog your system• Distract from work
Damage done by email scams / phishing
Inappropriate use of email e.g. bullying, unsuitable contentSecurity could be given either as an advantage or disadvantage if well argued but do notaccept reverse argument for second mark

I see that four of my ads/disads are there, however I sort of invented the 'no need for formality of a letter' advantage, maybe it will be permitted depending on the strictness of the final mark scheme, though four marks for that out of five is good imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Was this years exam similar to June 2013? Or any other recent past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending