The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AA923
Funny enough I can get 10 marks without saying all that but my hand would die writing all that .. it is sometime funny how each student uses the mark scheme in different ways and

can u say students may need motivation to work for CAL ?

Yeah I wouldn't write that much in the exam. Probably just give the method, one advantage and two disadvantages for each method (or vice versa). Depending on the time situation in the exam, I might make a really long answer for the essay, to make it impossible to fault so they have to give me all the marks.
Original post by PedanticStudent
Personally I would say:

ICT has many applications in education. One of these is with the use of CAL. Computer-assisted learning involves the use of software packages to compliment classroom learning (1) The major advantage of this is that learning materials are provided in a number of ways. Video, animation and games are often accessible as well as regular text. This makes for a more engaging learning experience, keeping interest of students (1) Additionally, CAL packages often have multilingual support, this empowers students who may not speak English as a first language to become more involved in the learning process (1) CAL offers students the opportunity to 'go over' or revisit content when they may not have gained a solid understanding of it the first time. (1)

However, use of CAL can have cost implications for the schools, as the software itself must be purchased and the software must be installed which has time and human resource demands. (1) CAL can also mean that it is difficult for teachers to gague the progress of students, as some packages may not offer such a facility as progress tracking. (1)

Distance learning has made a big impact. This can involve the use of VLEs and revision programs etc... away from the confines of a regular classroom (1) Advantages of this development include that students are able to work at their own pace, and not be rushed/slowed down by a teacher or class (1) Also, there are often a broader variety of courses available than what is offered in the student's centre (1) Furthermore, the student is not judged by a teacher if they make a silly error (1) The student is also able to fit learning around other commitments ie: karate or swimming etc... (1) Instant feedback is also available, so do not need to wait for tutor to mark (1)

However, Distance learning demands that the student is very self motivated, there is no teacher to do the motivating (1) Also, some students simply need the social interaction in order to learn effectively, the use of VLEs etc cannot provide this (1) There is a lack of flexibility, too. Concepts are only explained in a limited number of ways, whereas a teacher can explain something in many ways to ensure understanding (1)

Authoring software has empowered teachers. Authoring software is a type of package which allows tutors to create learning materials quickly. (1) An advantage of this is that no programming knowledge is needed in order to create materials, which also allows the tutor to focus on development of content. (1)

However, there can be a level of restriction. No programming means that the tutor must develop resources within the limits of what the software will allow, which can lead to the needs of the class not being met (1)

There is probably a lot more than you need here, but I thought I'd provide you with a broad range of ads/disads for you to select your favourite. I personally believe that the best combination is CAL, Distance learning and authoring software are they are all distinctly different.

It's better to give way too much than not enough. Timing isn't an issue in ICT at all. 2hr 15min is ages. I usually finish with half hour to spare.

Somehow this all came from memory lol

Thank you !
Original post by AA923
The ones I would use are Distance leaning , CAL and CBT

What would you write for CBT?
Original post by alevellife123
What would you write for CBT?

I'd avoid using CAL and CBT as distinct points as they are so similar. You could mix CBT in with your CAL answer however, they have pretty much the same ads/disads.
I'd avoid using CAL and CBT as distinct points as they are so similar. You could mix CBT in with your CAL answer however, they have pretty much the same ads/disads.

Ah right yeh thinking about it I agree, would it be easier to learn the mark scheme in bullet points and then elaborate in the exam?
Reply 65
My teacher said it was fine so meh

CBT ad = You don't have to rush you can work at your own pace
dis = Training can get boring as there is a lack of social interaction
Original post by AA923
My teacher said it was fine so meh

CBT ad = You don't have to rush you can work at your own pace
dis = Training can get boring as there is a lack of social interaction

Yeah that is what I mean by similar.

CAL ad = You don't have to rush you can work at your own pace
dis = Learning can get boring as there is a lack of social interaction

But yes it is absolutely fine to use CBT instead, but if you are to use CAL also, don't just repeat the same ads/disads.
Reply 67
Is this fine

CAL = AD = You can work till you understand and you can work from anywhere
DIS= Students may need motivation to work

CBT == ^^^ you 've seen them
Original post by AA923
Is this fine

CAL = AD = You can work till you understand and you can work from anywhere
DIS= Students may need motivation to work

CBT == ^^^ you 've seen them

yep, mostly, I'd rephrase it a little though:

CAL = AD = Students can revisit learning materials to gain a better understanding and they can work from anywhere.DIS= Students need to be self-motivated to work effectively.
Reply 69
yep, mostly, I'd rephrase it a little though:

CAL = AD = Students can revisit learning materials to gain a better understanding and they can work from anywhere.DIS= Students need to be self-motivated to work effectively.

yeah mine is straight copied from mark scheme
Reply 70
do you know the questions for online banking ???
Original post by AA923
do you know the questions for online banking ???

Take a look at the below image, taken from January 2008 (its the old spec, but all questions there are still possibilities)

See part b) specifically.

banking.PNG
Reply 72
woow thank youuuuu , what year are you going back until ?? 2007? 2008?2009?
Original post by AA923
woow thank youuuuu , what year are you going back until ?? 2007? 2008?2009?

By Sunday I will have done all from january 2011 onwards. I have done the older papers before though, I wouldn't sit and do the entire papers for pre-2009 however as they are quite different.
Reply 74
I have done from 2010-2015 ... what should I do ? its getting hard to remember everything
Original post by AA923
I have done from 2010-2015 ... what should I do ? its getting hard to remember everything

I have been revising each topic through the months, my last three half terms have been dominated by repeating content learned in class for all my subjects. This week is just reinforcing and tightening up with the mark schemes/repeating papers.

Just do whatever works best for you.
Reply 76
I'm just really stressed tbh

I have been revising each topic through the months, my last three half terms have been dominated by repeating content learned in class for all my subjects. This week is just reinforcing and tightening up with the mark schemes/repeating papers.

Just do whatever works best for you.
Could anyone list what this years predictions are likely to be and what questions are likely to come up in the exam?
Reply 78
does any one have a compilation of questions from 2009 backwards which they think might come up plz
Original post by ahsank98
Could anyone list what this years predictions are likely to be and what questions are likely to come up in the exam?

This question has been answered before

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending