Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys ! : ) So my struggle is : Lancaster or Newcastle university (Software Engineering degree). Despite the fact that Newcastle university is part of the "Russell group"uni's and it is known with good reputation, the uni is falling down in the main league table and the computer science one - that makes me extremely confused. Meanwhile Lancaster scores better and better results according to league tables (if they are objectively of course..) So i will appreciate and examine from all sides all of your advices. Thank you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TeodorY)
    Hello guys ! : ) So my struggle is : Lancaster or Newcastle university (Software Engineering degree). Despite the fact that Newcastle university is part of the "Russell group"uni's and it is known with good reputation, the uni is falling down in the main league table and the computer science one - that makes me extremely confused. Meanwhile Lancaster scores better and better results according to league tables (if they are objectively of course..) So i will appreciate and examine from all sides all of your advices. Thank you
    Check the course content before the ranking...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jneill)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i have already done that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeodorY)
    i have already done that
    Well then only you can make the best choice realistically. At the end of the day, both Lancaster and Newcastle are brilliant universities so regarding league tables etc, picking one over the other probably wont make that much difference.

Knowing nothing about the degree you've chosen or the ins-and-outs of either university, I'd choose Newcastle since it's in the bigger city.

Did you go to any open days? Usually they're a good way of telling whether you like somewhere or not. I've spoken to friends who have done a complete 180 on their choices after visiting unis, in both directions - ie going from being dead set on going somewhere, going to an open day then hating it and vice versa.

I'd assume that they both have the same entry requirements and are both conditional offers, but incase they're not, then I'd firm the higher offer and make the lower one your insurance if you really can't decide since that's the safest way to play the UCAS 'game'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.