The Student Room Group

Confused with choosing the right university

Hello guys ! : ) So my struggle is : Lancaster or Newcastle university (Software Engineering degree). Despite the fact that Newcastle university is part of the "Russell group"uni's and it is known with good reputation, the uni is falling down in the main league table and the computer science one - that makes me extremely confused. Meanwhile Lancaster scores better and better results according to league tables (if they are objectively of course..) So i will appreciate and examine from all sides all of your advices. Thank you :h:
Reply 1
Original post by TeodorY
Hello guys ! : ) So my struggle is : Lancaster or Newcastle university (Software Engineering degree). Despite the fact that Newcastle university is part of the "Russell group"uni's and it is known with good reputation, the uni is falling down in the main league table and the computer science one - that makes me extremely confused. Meanwhile Lancaster scores better and better results according to league tables (if they are objectively of course..) So i will appreciate and examine from all sides all of your advices. Thank you :h:

Check the course content before the ranking...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beat me to it :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have already done that
Original post by TeodorY
i have already done that

Well then only you can make the best choice realistically. At the end of the day, both Lancaster and Newcastle are brilliant universities so regarding league tables etc, picking one over the other probably wont make that much difference.

Knowing nothing about the degree you've chosen or the ins-and-outs of either university, I'd choose Newcastle since it's in the bigger city.

Did you go to any open days? Usually they're a good way of telling whether you like somewhere or not. I've spoken to friends who have done a complete 180 on their choices after visiting unis, in both directions - ie going from being dead set on going somewhere, going to an open day then hating it and vice versa.

I'd assume that they both have the same entry requirements and are both conditional offers, but incase they're not, then I'd firm the higher offer and make the lower one your insurance if you really can't decide since that's the safest way to play the UCAS 'game'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending