The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't think I'd ever cry in public bar it being an actual response to incredibly intense pain or maybe a sudden terrible bereavement*. I suppose I would judge someone as weak if relatively small issues made them start crying, but I'd think it of either sex. Only thing which MIGHT make me look like I'm about to, or a single tear type thing, is if someone else is crying, always seems to trigger me a bit.

Then there's arguments with your partner behind closed doors. Not that I've ever actually had any sort of real shouting match, but I know it wouldn't happen as I'd start crying and want a hug pretty much straight away, no shame.

* Or ...maybe when you're watching a film with a sad scene at the cinema...say something like The pursuit of Happiness...and then your mates ask and you just splashing some drink on your face, they weren't tears.
Boys are allowed to cry! Its perfectly normal and in fact natural for it to happen!
I say people who dont cry are weaker than people who do!
Its good to show emotion!
Original post by tengentoppa
If you cry in public over anything other than a bereavement, then I will lose respect for you.It's pathetic, and uncomfortable for everyone. If you do need to cry, do it somewhere where other people don't have to see you.

PRSOM (again)

Original post by k.m.b
i wonder why some people view it as a weakness:confused:

not being able to control your emotions is weak
Original post by StrangeBanana
PRSOM (again)

That's SUPRESSING, not controlling.
There is a difference
PRSOM (again)

Likewise :lol:
Reply 25
Original post by Vennec
There are people who will laugh, yeah. It's unfortunate. Those people have been raised to think it's not okay for men to cry, that it is weak and that they should "bottle it up" or "suck it up" and deal with it. A lot of guys will also think this and cry in private rather than in public out of fear of social judgment. But it's okay to cry and it's emotionally damaging not to. We all need to vent sometimes.

I feel like crying but I don't. I keep everything inside me which is probably why I feel so depressed and sad alll the time. I have no friends either and I don't know what to do. :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by FireFreezer77
Boys are allowed to cry! Its perfectly normal and in fact natural for it to happen!
I say people who dont cry are weaker than people who do!
Its good to show emotion!

I'm weaker than people who do then. :frown:
Original post by _Xenon_
Do boys cry and is it OK if a boy cries? Why are some called nasty names if they cry? Is this fair? What are your thoughts?

Is a boy who cries weak?

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by k.m.b
That's SUPRESSING, not controlling.
There is a difference

What difference is there, exactly?
Reply 29

None
Of course its ok for guys to cry, they are only human. Its horrible to see anyone cry but guys should never feel the need to hold back emotions like that. A good cry is sometimes what you need. I've seen my bf cry at major things like the death of a loved one and seen him cry at trival things like watching The Notebook and I didn't see him as weak. I felt happy that he was comfortable enough with me to be truly open about how he felt in those moments and didn't feel like he had to keep it together for fear of being seen as petty or weak.

well i think
Supressing: forcibly ending any type of emotion at a halt

Controlling: being able to regulate emotion at different times depending on the situation you're in
Reply 32
Generally, I think, men are expected only to cry when there is some "serious business" so to speak. It is not crying that is criticised, but crying over trivial matters, and men seem to get less leeway with this than women for whatever reasons.
Reply 33
Original post by _Xenon_
I feel like crying but I don't. I keep everything inside me which is probably why I feel so depressed and sad alll the time. I have no friends either and I don't know what to do. :frown:

Sometimes getting it all out there can be a real help, lighten the load as they say. Also, allow yourself to cry. You'll feel better after. We do it for a reason, y'know? Take some time to yourself, just do whatever comes naturally. Reflect on what's bothering you and if you end up shedding a few tears then that's fine.

Is there anyone you can talk to? You really should talk to someone about it, mate :h: If you're at uni, maybe find a councellor or a teacher, or a family member?
Would only shed a tear if I get arrested for something srs or if something unspeakable happens to a loved one
Original post by _Xenon_
Do boys cry and is it OK if a boy cries? Why are some called nasty names if they cry? Is this fair? What are your thoughts?

Is a boy who cries weak?

Yes
Depends
people r dumb
sometimes, sometimes not
LOL
I used to be such a cry baby.Not even kidding. I used to cry all the time
(edited 7 years ago)
Its ok for guys to cry, like its ok for girls to cry
Reply 38
Original post by Vennec
Sometimes getting it all out there can be a real help, lighten the load as they say. Also, allow yourself to cry. You'll feel better after. We do it for a reason, y'know? Take some time to yourself, just do whatever comes naturally. Reflect on what's bothering you and if you end up shedding a few tears then that's fine.

Is there anyone you can talk to? You really should talk to someone about it, mate :h: If you're at uni, maybe find a councellor or a teacher, or a family member?

I don't cry but I sometimes explode with tears which come out forcefully which have been trapped inside me for so long. This is not often though and happens when I am in a situation which makes me feel overwhelmed in which I tend to become really aggressive. This shocks people as I'm so quiet and seem so nice. They won't believe it. Nobody understands me or knows how I feel though. People think I'm weird. I have no friends. I cannot make friends either as I don't know how to. I'm not able to talk to people and I don't know how to express myself. I don't know what is bothering me. I've always been "weird" and I've never been able to make friends like others can so easily. I even started speaking later than people my age when I was younger. I don't know why I'm like this. I don't know why I feel like this. I just feel sad always. That is me. :frown:

I'm currently doing GCSEs.
Original post by k.m.b
well i think
Supressing: forcibly ending any type of emotion at a halt

Controlling: being able to regulate emotion at different times depending on the situation you're in

...well you've just made those definitions up. :tongue:

Latest