The Student Room Group

At what age did you realise kindness is more important than intelligence?

Scroll to see replies

I was about 9

I unlearned it at 19
kindness can get you very far in life, there are so many extremely bright people out there in the world but if you don't have the personality to match people won't want to be around you or even work with you. If you are kind people will give you a chance or do a favour for you, however everyone is smart in there own way and has their own strengths. Academics don't fully prove you ability, but being acadimc gives you a better base to do well
truly intelligent people are always kind
Makes sense... Hitler was clearly very intelligent, but not the kindest of all people!
Probably sometime during GCSEs / A-Levels when I realised it's much easier to be a kind person that is it be a smart person.

Spoiler

Original post by jamesthehustler
intelligence is better as
intelligence is knowledge
knowledge is power
power leads to success
success leads to money
and money leads to romance

Interesting point. I think Montana, the late, 20th century philosopher, phrased it best when he was discussing American culture - "In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women."
This is nonsense. Intelligence is far more important than kindness, because with it you can get much further in life. Kindness won't teach you how to lay bricks for a shelter, or how to grow your own organic vegetables - only intelligence and a strong work ethic.

Now, kindness on its own merit is a good thing, until you realise that excessive kindness earns you disrespect, and others may even try to take advantage of you. This is because most don't take a nice guy seriously - there are no reprucussions if you go against a pushover because he'll do little or nothing out of kindness. This doesn't mean you should be a complete douche because douches don't have any friends.

So in my opinion, a good middle ground to stand on would be to be nice to a certain merit, but firm and honest in all matters. A firm person with a strong and honest demeanour is someone many admire and look up to but don't want to cross or take liberties from.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
This is nonsense. Intelligence is far more important than kindness, because with it you can get much further in life. Kindness won't teach you how to lay bricks for a shelter, or how to grow your own organic vegetables - only intelligence and a strong work ethic.

Now, kindness on its own merit is a good thing, until you realise that excessive kindness earns you disrespect, and others may even try to take advantage of you. This is because most don't take a nice guy seriously - there are no reprucussions if you go against a pushover because he'll do little or nothing out of kindness. This doesn't mean you should be a complete douche because douches don't have any friends.

So in my opinion, a good middle ground to stand on would be to be nice to a certain merit, but firm and honest in all matters. A firm person with a strong and honest demeanour is someone many admire and look up to but don't want to cross or take liberties from.

thank you
kindness is ONLY good when it gives you some calculated advantage in the long term
intelligence is ALWAYS a good attribute to have.
Original post by RainPoncho
And how? Or maybe you've always lived by this? Maybe you disagree and think both are equally important? Or do you think intelligence is a greater virtue than kindness?

I'm just interested in people's thoughts. The title is a bit vague I guess, make of it what you will :biggrin:

completely agree (id say 11 for me)
And how? Or maybe you've always lived by this? Maybe you disagree and think both are equally important? Or do you think intelligence is a greater virtue than kindness?

I'm just interested in people's thoughts. The title is a bit vague I guess, make of it what you will :biggrin:

None of the above.
why not both? People should be both kind and smart
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Interesting point. I think Montana, the late, 20th century philosopher, phrased it best when he was discussing American culture - "In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women."

you have it pinpointed i just upgraded it a little
I am too intelligent to reply to this thread.

But too kind not to.

A real conundrum. :holmes:
I'm, like, a really smart person. I have a very good brain, my uncle was one of the greats at MIT, a professor...so It's in the genes I guess, I dunno. I'm actually a nice person as well, believe it or not. But we don't need niceness, we need toughness. It's true, it's true.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can't say I've realized that.
still not there yet....
It properly hit me at university. Not because of uni, but because of the work I was doing part time. I found I just had a much more enjoyable life and got lots more done by being kind to everyone and helping people,
Well too much intelligence can never be a bad thing in my books, but too much kindness can.

I am kind when I want to be, but some people certainly don't deserve my kindness therefore I am not going to give it to them.
Original post by Observatory
Intelligence is an attribute, not a virtue. It is like saying that having really long arms or a big truck is a virtue.

Tru.
Reply 39

The world needs kind intelligent people. Both are important.

Quick Reply

Latest