Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be applying to read English at uni next year, post-results. Anyway, I have a feeling my exams went really badly, but I want to get into one of the best unis, and after reading the post about English courses a few threads down I'm not hopeful! Given that I love all my subjects almost equally (English, Music, French and Law), I think maybe if I don't get the grades I'm hoping for I should apply for French at good unis, rather than English at middling ones. (Two of my friend have offers of BCC and BBC for French at Birmingham and KLC because languages courses are so undersubscribed.)

Am I just being silly? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    why don't you do joint honours or minor/major in french and english? it's true that languages are undersubscried in uni though.

ReputationRep:
    I had this dilema too because my career's advisor told me english was soo competitve. So i decided to do french and english joint honours. I thought it wud give me a bit of variation, i love english n id love to be fluent in french and a year abroad! That way u dont usually need as high grades. I want to go to sussex which has asked for ABB but it is got at English and french. The course sounds so interesting coz although french will be my language Italian Spanish and German are also involved! If i get in it will be great! Where do u want to go?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.