Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else done this, how did you find it? any regrets?

I live 35 minutes away from my chosen university, so I just don't see the point in moving. But I'm in two minds whether to apply incase I struggle to make friends and wont be able to enjoy the whole 'university life'

Are people in halls with people from the same course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmasmith2010)

I live 35 minutes away from my chosen university, so I just don't see the point in moving. But I'm in two minds whether to apply incase I struggle to make friends and wont be able to enjoy the whole 'university life'

I went into halls so I can't answer from a personal perspective of a commuter. However I can say that it really depends what kind of university life you want as to whether you would regret staying at home. If you want to be going out clubbing or going to flat parties all the time then its generally easier if you live in halls- no worries about getting home, getting parental permission or waking them up when you come home at silly o'clock, you have an immediate group of 'friends' to go out with and people do tend to stick to their flatmates for the first few weeks at least.

That isn't to say its not possible to make friends as a commuter, you just need to put in more effort- approaching people in lectures/seminars e.c.t generally the higher the course contact hours the easier it is to bond with coursemates and joining societies/and or sports clubs- this might mean hanging out on campus til the evening meeting or coming in on a saturday for sports.

Obviously if you want peace and quiet then home is the way to go unless the commute is a long one, which yours isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my third year and I've lived at home for all 3 years-I highly recommend joining a society if you worry about making friends. I did find it a bit lonely the first couple of weeks simply because everyone in halls had already had some time to get to know each other, but as soon as I joined a society (one of the largest in the university) I made loads of friends, including some on my course, and I have no regrets now-I get all the fun of being a university student, but in a comfortable house, rent-free!

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at the end of my second year and I have commuted in from home as I also only live 30 mins away from uni.

I have been lucky that I have found amazing friends who also live at home so we are all in the same boat. however, i would definitely say that I do feel slightly more removed from the uni community because I am not living on campus.

i would say the worst part about living at home is the nights out as getting a taxi back at 3am can be expensive and you cant rely on buses or trains etc at that time.

However, it is important to note that there are many positives to living at home as you don't have to pay rent, you have your meals cooked for you and you wont get homesick. The main thing that i like about living at home is that when it comes to the exam period, the library is packed at my uni which I dont have to worry about because I can stay at home where I have peace and quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmasmith2010)

I'm at the end of my second year and have lived at uni for both. However, home is also a 30 minute drive away. I would definitely recommned living in halls for your first year so you can make the most of fresher's week and events at the uni throughout the year. I even had a friend stay at mine for fresher's so she could come out. Also would definitely recommend joining societies to enhance your experience, whether you live at home or not. Just be aware that socials might be on awkward days and if you're driving you won't be able to drink and might feel a little left out. It's so much easier to be able to walk hom as it shortens the journey and means you don't need to worry about the journey home.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.