Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to be a doctor?

This prolly sounds like a really obviously question but I think it's quite hard to actually give an outstanding answer. Every interview is going to ask you this question and several people are probably going to give the same sort of answer. Obviously just saying 'I like to care for people' is not going to be enough but really what can you say? Basically that is the basis for becoming a good doctor, so for people who have medical interviews or people who are studying/qualified for medicine, what did you say that made you stand out?

ReputationRep:
    Fast cars and loose men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Fast cars and loose men.
    Oh Really???

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly I wasn't actually asked that in either of my interviews, though I had my answer all ready (can't remember it now).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Surprisingly I wasn't actually asked that in either of my interviews, though I had my answer all ready (can't remember it now).
    I was asked that this year, but my answers quite personal to me and i don't know that it would make much sense to many other people.

the first thing for me was

" why manchester "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaZZZ)
    the first thing for me was

" why manchester "
    My first question at my Barts and The London interview (held at The Royal London) was
    "Ah! We see you live opposite St Bartholomews. I bet you're annoyed we called you out here" As if I was going to answer 'Yeah, you tossers!'

I just said I was glad to have been given the chance to prove myself at interview

ReputationRep:
    My first question at my Barts and The London interview (held at The Royal London) was
    "Ah! We see you live opposite St Bartholomews. I bet you're annoyed we called you out here" As if I was going to answer 'Yeah, you tossers!'

I just said I was glad to have been given the chance to prove myself at interview
    Perfect sucky uppy answer, Fluffy!

I honestly can't remember what the first question I was asked in either of my Cambridge interviews was. No idea. The Nottingham one was a bit embarassing though. They send out this little questionnaire, where you have to answer questions like "In 20 words, describe how you have a caring personality." In one of them I had mentioned helping my friend and her family through her father's terminal illness. Now somehow, one of the interviewers had misread it and thought I'd written about my father's terminal illness. So his first question (more of a statement, really) was "Wow, Helen, you've a had a tough road to get here, haven't you?" I looked slightly blank, I'd come by train so he expanded "With your Dad and everything?" at which point I realised the mistake and had to explain.

I spent the interview panicking that they'd only given me an interview out of sympathy and I didn't stand a chance now. They made me an offer though, so it can't have been that bad!

ReputationRep:
    They send out this little questionnaire, where you have to answer questions like "In 20 words, describe how you have a caring personality." In one of them I had mentioned helping my friend and her family through her father's terminal illness. Now somehow, one of the interviewers had misread it and thought I'd written about my father's terminal illness. So his first question (more of a statement, really) was "Wow, Helen, you've a had a tough road to get here, haven't you?" I looked slightly blank, I'd come by train so he expanded "With your Dad and everything?" at which point I realised the mistake and had to explain.
    Aww bless him!

ReputationRep:
    Hm ok how about what answers would you give? (If you can't remember) and Sarky i'm just interested to hear what you said anyway Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    Hm ok how about what answers would you give? (If you can't remember) and Sarky i'm just interested to hear what you said anyway Thanks
    Oh, it was something about how my experience of hospitals and of learning first aid had made me interested, and that subsequent work exp etc had just confirmed my desire to do medicine. Some guff about interested in how humans work (or don't!) and of course, wanting to help people

ReputationRep:
    Barts:

I got a mini-grilling on my D.Phil thesis... Asked to sumarise my findings in laymans terms (the interviewer added 'as as a dr you will be expected to explain complex proceedures in basic terms')

My interview was the month before my viva. One of the questions I was asked was 'What are you reading at the moment' So a laughed and said 'apart from my thesis?' To which he said 'ah! Good point' So I added that I was reading Watsons DNA, when I wasn't feeling guilty for not reading papers.

I was also asked 'the usual' questions Why Barts, Why medicine, What do you think makes a good doctor, what can you bring to the course, what can you bring to the medical school. Tell us about the course, what do you know about PBL, do you think you are suited to PBL and why... The usual I guess.

The one that really threw me and I thought I had messed it all up was 'Your degree, research and publication record suggest that you are accademically excellant, what happened at A-Level'. I took a deept breath (in order to contemplate the truth or lie option) and decided on the truth. I said I had anorexia and weight loss was more important to me than school at the time. I also explained that I really enjoyed the method of trust and teaching at the FE college I resat at, pointing out that I went from an E- to an A in biology in a year. I was about to go on more, when the interviewer said that he just wondered and there was no need to explain. I thought ARSE! Fecked that up! I got an offer 5 days later At my first choice!

God! It all feels like yesterday! I can still taste the fear!

ReputationRep:
    Fast cars and loose men.
    OO OO OO me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    OO OO OO me too!
    You want loose men too?

ReputationRep:
    You want loose men too?
    OOPS! That was an intentional mistake I promise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    OOPS! That was an intentional mistake I promise
    Or were you meaning that you are one?

ReputationRep:
    Or were you meaning that you are one?
    LOL! Maybe I should just stick with the fast cars and be done

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Fluffy & Helenia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    LOL! Maybe I should just stick with the fast cars and be done
    OK, you have the fast cars, I'll have the loose men

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.