Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,
    I'm sitting my GCSEs in around two weeks time. I am predicted:

Mathematics - A* (already obtained)
    English Language - A* (already obtained)
    English Literature - A*
    Geography - A*
    Physics - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Biology - A*
    History - A/A*
    French - A
    Music - A
    Welsh - A (already obtained)

Are these grades good enough for Oxford or Cambridge? I am leaning towards Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-level for engineering at degree level, though may take history - I'm completely undecided!

Worst case scenario is 6/7 A*s, 3/4 As and 1 B, best is as listed above with 8A*s and 3 As. Thank you very much for your replies!

ReputationRep:
    i think so. i don't think it really matters. however (from what i have heard) they are more likely to consider you when you get 8 A stars and above

ReputationRep:
    For engineering, it's probably best that you take maths and physics at A-level as opposed to history

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think GCSE's matter, really, in the grand scheme of things.

To be considered at A-level you need good predicted grades. It's early entry so you apply after you've gotten your AS grades; they look at your AS grades and you need at least AAAB to be considered. Your final A-level grades should be A*A*A or something of the sort. You need at least one A* in your final A-level exam, in principle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gera279)
    Hey all,
    I'm sitting my GCSEs in around two weeks time. I am predicted:

Mathematics - A* (already obtained)
    English Language - A* (already obtained)
    English Literature - A*
    Geography - A*
    Physics - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Biology - A*
    History - A/A*
    French - A
    Music - A
    Welsh - A (already obtained)

Are these grades good enough for Oxford or Cambridge? I am leaning towards Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-level for engineering at degree level, though may take history - I'm completely undecided!

Worst case scenario is 6/7 A*s, 3/4 As and 1 B, best is as listed above with 8A*s and 3 As. Thank you very much for your replies!
    Yes, they are more than fine. Definitely take Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-level (don't replace any of them with History), and consider taking Chemistry as well (at least to AS) if your school allows it.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed that you should only consider history as a fourth choice if you're serious about engineering.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...science?wssl=1
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ditto for Cambridge
    http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/table1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.