Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will the new A levels make it harder for me to study in america? Watch

ReputationRep:
    okay, ive been planning to study in america for years, it is no problem for my parents so i have the go from them, but basically i will be taking the new linear a levels when i start college, and this means no official AS level exam for me. I heard the american application forms are accepted/declined months before we take A levels so the universities tend to look at AS levels and GCSE's. (and any other exam you may have to take such as the IB) and im just afraid the lack of AS level qualification might hinder my chances, any ideas?

Someone told me that spending one year at college and then enrolling in AP or honours classes in an american high school is the best way to go about this, so i will take the same exams as them, but i'm not sure. can somebody help me out with what will happen now a levels have changed? thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watern)
    okay, ive been planning to study in america for years, it is no problem for my parents so i have the go from them, but basically i will be taking the new linear a levels when i start college, and this means no official AS level exam for me. I heard the american application forms are accepted/declined months before we take A levels so the universities tend to look at AS levels and GCSE's. (and any other exam you may have to take such as the IB) and im just afraid the lack of AS level qualification might hinder my chances, any ideas?

Someone told me that spending one year at college and then enrolling in AP or honours classes in an american high school is the best way to go about this, so i will take the same exams as them, but i'm not sure. can somebody help me out with what will happen now a levels have changed? thanks
    Overall, it might be better to contact an admissions officer of a major US university to get their take after explaining your situation. Usually though, you submit a package to an American university and they provide a conditional offer, based upon a projected score as well as past exam grades.

Another option would be to register for AP exams as long as you have a testing centre nearby. IIRC, you don't need to take the curriculum itself - it's more along the lines of challenging the exam, much like testing of an academic year.

ReputationRep:
    They don't make conditional offers, but they will probably be OK with making decisions based on predicted A-levels, GSCEs, and SAT Is and IIs. I don't think it will be that big a problem. Seems weird to get rid of the AS though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If IB students get admitted, I see no reason why new A-level curriculum students wouldn't on the basis of the new system alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.