Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi My eldest son received a student loan for a three year degree of approx £3600. His university accommodation costs for the first year were just over £4000 so that was easy for us to manage. My youngest son has just applied for a student loan and has been given approx £3800 but his first year costs are £6800. Our household income suggests that it would be unlikely he could get a bigger loan but I think the amount allocated can be up to £5000. Given that his first year costs are almost 80% more than his loan is there no way he could get an increased amount for the first year? Kind regards
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by LJLM)
    Hi My eldest son received a student loan for a three year degree of approx £3600. His university accommodation costs for the first year were just over £4000 so that was easy for us to manage. My youngest son has just applied for a student loan and has been given approx £3800 but his first year costs are £6800. Our household income suggests that it would be unlikely he could get a bigger loan but I think the amount allocated can be up to £5000. Given that his first year costs are almost 80% more than his loan is there no way he could get an increased amount for the first year? Kind regards
    I'm afraid the assessment is based solely on household income and not on the costs of accommodation. He might be eligible for hardship funding from his university when he starts (or for scholarships and bursaries depending on his course and the funds offered by his university). It's worth checking for these now to make sure that if he needs to claim he has the information and evidence available to prove hardship/eligibility.

Are there no cheaper halls available to him? Alternatively a full time minimum wage job for the 3 months between exams ending and university starting should allow him to save up £1,500-2,500 (depending on his age) which would cover most of the difference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.