Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of studying Law at university as a possible option. Some universities I have my eyes set on are Liverpool, Birmingham, Bangor and also Chester (they offer a Law with Psychology course which sounds amazing) along with various other possible ones which I haven't had a chance to look at tbh.
    BUT, I was just wondering, if I were to pursue a career in the legal industry as a solicitor, for example, would companies and possible employers solely look at my education and how highly ranked the university I studied at is when considering me as a possible employee? I ask this because I know Law is a competitive profession and I just wanted some advice and feedback on the matter.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    I'm thinking of studying Law at university as a possible option. Some universities I have my eyes set on are Liverpool, Birmingham, Bangor and also Chester (they offer a Law with Psychology course which sounds amazing) along with various other possible ones which I haven't had a chance to look at tbh.
    BUT, I was just wondering, if I were to pursue a career in the legal industry as a solicitor, for example, would companies and possible employers solely look at my education and how highly ranked the university I studied at is when considering me as a possible employee? I ask this because I know Law is a competitive profession and I just wanted some advice and feedback on the matter.
    Thanks!
    Hi, yes and no. Law firms wouldnt specifically look at league tables to determine whether or not to interview / hire someone, but good league tables (not guardian or similar crap) roughly correlate to the esteem in which universities are held by employers. For example, birmingham may be much higher in the law league tables than manchester, but this would make no difference to your application to a law firm. But you can get a rough idea that oxbridge/lse/ucl/durham will place you in better stead than swansea and southampton.

In short - no league tables are not important in themselves, but good ones can give a rough idea as to how prestigious universities are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest115)
    Hi, yes and no. Law firms wouldnt specifically look at league tables to determine whether or not to interview / hire someone, but good league tables (not guardian or similar crap) roughly correlate to the esteem in which universities are held by employers. For example, birmingham may be much higher in the law league tables than manchester, but this would make no difference to your application to a law firm. But you can get a rough idea that oxbridge/lse/ucl/durham will place you in better stead than swansea and southampton.

In short - no league tables are not important in themselves, but good ones can give a rough idea as to how prestigious universities are.
    So what you're saying in short is, as long as I go to a mid/high university ranked university I'll be well prepared for working in the legal profession in the real world but in regards to applying to firms for jobs etc. they don't hire you based on your education but rather what you 'bring to the table', implying that league tables aren't necessarily that important in hindsight, right?

ReputationRep:
    Well, to a degree yes. It really depends on the universities you're comparing and the firm you're applying to. Large London / US firms are incredibly competitive, and some university discrimination may occur. But this will be universities with large differences in reputation, rather than a few places on a league table. Generally after interviews / assessment day, university names are irrelevant, and some are even application blind nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Unis can buy their places in the league tables, thats why in different tables there can be different rankings. Essentially the most important thing is the value of your degree which is something that you will shape when you are having that education. Moreover in almost every ranking tables they put "research" in to calculations too, if you are doing undergraduate course, its not something that will be on your interest. And finally, when you are applying for a job, people will look the last education you have which if you have masters degree, your ug wont be as important as if you didn't have masters

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would saythe same. Yes and no. The thing is that league tables change every year. So you could go to the highest ranked university, but in 3 or 4 year it might be different. Except for Oxbridge, lse etc... So I think mid range university are ok. And where the course is the most interesting for your career, amd will bring something more to it. Such as Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge, your university matters quite a lot to law firms. I would suggest you aim to go to a good RG uni. League table's arent always a good indicator of a law schools reputation, but I have found CUGs tables to be fairly accurate. I would also give this a look: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't make the ranking of the uni a priority, the most important thing is you choose a uni that works for you and where you'll be able get the most out of your study. It's all well and good getting a degree from Birmingham but if you come out with a poor grade because you hated the city/course it may have been wiser to choose somewhere that has a lower ranking but is somewhere you enjoy living/studying.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input!

ReputationRep:
    FYI go into your law degree with an open mind instead of thinking you have to go down the traditional solicitor/barrister route because it's getting increasingly impossible to work in those careers unless you're from Oxbridge/LSE/ucl/Durham etc or you have a first. I ended up obsessing over league tables and got into Kings yet still managed not to get any legal work experience so just be aware of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orphan_black)
    FYI go into your law degree with an open mind instead of thinking you have to go down the traditional solicitor/barrister route because it's getting increasingly impossible to work in those careers unless you're from Oxbridge/LSE/ucl/Durham etc or you have a first. I ended up obsessing over league tables and got into Kings yet still managed not to get any legal work experience so just be aware of that
    Wow, really? I didn't know it was that hard! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    Wow, really? I didn't know it was that hard! Thank you!
    Well damn, you're in for a treat! I'd advise you to read sites like legal cheek regularly. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orphan_black)
    Well damn, you're in for a treat! I'd advise you to read sites like legal cheek regularly. Good luck!
    indeed..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.