Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSRians,

So basically I had offers from three universities, all in the Russell Group, and I turned down a way more prestigious one for a university which is still in the Russell Group, but is a lot lower on the league tables and not targeted by employers as much . . . I did it because the course looked so much better at the 'lower' university, and now I'm starting to panic that this is going to affect the rest of my life. I have good grades, but both happened to have the same entry requirements for some reason. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalai Llama)
    Hi TSRians,

So basically I had offers from three universities, all in the Russell Group, and I turned down a way more prestigious one for a university which is still in the Russell Group, but is a lot lower on the league tables and not targeted by employers as much . . . I did it because the course looked so much better at the 'lower' university, and now I'm starting to panic that this is going to affect the rest of my life. I have good grades, but both happened to have the same entry requirements for some reason. Any advice?
    You made the right decision. Prestige isn't the most important thing. Do you really want to set yourself for misery by going to a uni you really didn't like because of prestige?

People need to stop being such snobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    You made the right decision. Prestige isn't the most important thing. Do you really want to set yourself for misery by going to a uni you really didn't like because of prestige?

People need to stop being such snobs
    Thank you so much. I didn't mind the more prestigious university, it was mainly the course content. But, I did get a much better vibe from the university I chose.

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSRians,

May I ask which university did you turn down?
    Also, the course is much more important than the university itself. You will spend most of your time at uni studying, so you should choose a course you'll enjoy studying.

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSRians,

Depends what you mean by 'league tables'; do you mean overall or course specific?

Lower placed Uni's will have courses which are ranked higher than top Uni's. My personal opinion, I'd only check the league tables for specific courses. Not the overall league table.

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 league tables and prestige are everything and determine your entire future. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimum_)
    Depends what you mean by 'league tables'; do you mean overall or course specific?

Lower placed Uni's will have courses which are ranked higher than top Uni's. My personal opinion, I'd only check the league tables for specific courses. Not the overall league table.
    It's ranked lower for both . . .

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. I didn't mind the more prestigious university, it was mainly the course content. But, I did get a much better vibe from the university I chose.
    Then why are you worrying? You're still going to a good uni if it's Russell Group, but overall league tables are load of utter crap and aren't worth looking at-they fluctuate like crazy every year.

What's most important is that you enjoy the course and the place. Do you really want to be wasting at least £9k a year out of your own pocket because you were so obsessed with people's opinion of you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    May I ask which university did you turn down?
    Also, the course is much more important than the university itself. You will spend most of your time at uni studying, so you should choose a course you'll enjoy studying.
    I don't want to give away my identity, so I'll just say I turned down a London university.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't want to give away my identity, so I'll just say I turned down a London university.
    Thousands of people do this.. You would hardly be giving away your identity aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you made the correct choice. Some, particularly A level students and those on TSR, put far too much emphasis on reputation and league tables. Meanwhile, in the real world, you are not your university. Go where you think you will enjoy it or thrive the most.

ReputationRep:
    It's ranked lower for both . . .
    That's interesting, but far from a deal breaker in my opinion. There are so many factors when it comes to choosing a Uni, league tables are barely scratching the surface.

As long as you do well in your degree, that's all that truly matters. Vast majority of employers don't care what Uni you went to, it's all about what you achieve.

ReputationRep:
    Let me tell you, as long as it isn't Oxbridge, people won't care much beyond your entry job. Do something impressive during your undergraduate degree and you'll definitely look better than someone from a London university with nothing on their hands to show for. I mean, to be frank, especially in sciences, universities are either Oxbridge, Russel Group, or Polytechnics, within each group there isn't much variation in prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Last year i turned down Imperial college to go to the university of Birmingham (physics/natural sciences) because i thought the course would be better, and i'm so happy with my decision now. I initially thought league tables were really important (they are) but now i realise that you don't go to the uni purely for the course - you go to have fun and develop yourself as a person and for me, Birmingham does that so much better. I have a much more of a social experience than i would have in London and it doesn't cost the earth - the societies are more varied (as far as i know) and i think going out is better here as well because it's well cheap and you don't need to cross half of london to go to a decent club. This might not be for you, but consider other factors in your decision apart from the reputation! Tbh if they're in the Russell group there's not much in it anyway

ReputationRep:
    I did a similar thing but not only because I preferred the course, but because I thought the staff and students were much more friendly and the facilities were actually a lot better at the not-so-prestigious one. But hey, I can say I've had and declined an offer from one :P

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSRians,

Just say the names of the universities... jeesus christ...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSRians,

Hello! I'm in my final year now and am coming to the end of my studies and have been having this issue with postgrad degrees - I have also looked at applying to graduate roles so I thought I was in a good position to answer your question!
    My uni is not in the rusell group however has a strong focus on a placement year and a year in industry which helped -- at the end of the day you're going to university to get a job - prestige will only get you so far and get you into those jobs which are elitist in my opionin, however, EXPERIENCE is key to getting a role - what would you write about if you went to a prestigious university which just consisted of the course material in lectures, and you had no experience or a summer internship or group work for example - this would not stand you in a good place to get a job after. Its about picking somewhere which will equip you with the skills you need to get a role later.

From people I know in the prestigious universities - they tend to stay in academia - perhaps - not making a generalisation - just saying those I know - you're not going to find someone at UCL who has a job in Primark for example - they MIGHT but its unlikely - nto because of the uni they went to but perhaps because they would choose academia instead - in that respect you need to pick what you want. PICK A UNI THAT REPRESENTS YOU. Feel like home when you go there. Otherwise you'll be surrounded by people who are not similar to you rlikes or interests

Experience will stand you in better stead. So in short you haven't ruined your life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi TSRians,

I turned down three offers from RG universities in favour of a non-RG university. I have no regrets because I know I am happier here than I would be at the others and that's what matters more. The RG is an arbitrary self selecting group, it is no the be-it-and-end-all of university reputation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.