Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been on the pill since I was 14, I'm 22 now so I've been taking it for around 8 years! Over the past 2 years or so I have suffered with migraines, at the time myself, and my doctor always put them down to stress (uni, work, etc). A few times it was suggested that it could be my pill, so my pill has been changed 2 or 3 times to see if this solves anything. I have tried pills that have 7 day breaks, tried taking them with no breaks and also taken the pill that you take every day of the cycle.

Despite changing pills probably 5 or more times (on recommendations from doctors, but also because of the clinic changing ingredients etc) I still suffer from really strong headaches! They are at the worst when I am on my week break, but I regularly get them while taking the pills too, probably 1 or 2 quite bad headaches a week. I am at the point where I want to come off of the pill completely! However I am really put off by other contraceptives, I do not want the implant with it lasting 3 years and I have tried the injection before while struggling with the pill, and my body reacted badly to it.

To cut a long story short, I have been with my boyfriend over 2 years, we are settled etc and I am training as a teacher. If I were to fall pregnant it would most definitely throw a spanner in the works, but it wouldn't be 'the worst thing'. Despite that, I'm not actively trying to get pregnant! If anyone could help, with recommendations for any other contraception or if anyone has experienced the same issue but managed to stay on the pill? I would be greatly appreciative!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by aea27)
    Hi, I have been on the pill since I was 14, I'm 22 now so I've been taking it for around 8 years! Over the past 2 years or so I have suffered with migraines, at the time myself, and my doctor always put them down to stress (uni, work, etc). A few times it was suggested that it could be my pill, so my pill has been changed 2 or 3 times to see if this solves anything. I have tried pills that have 7 day breaks, tried taking them with no breaks and also taken the pill that you take every day of the cycle.

Despite changing pills probably 5 or more times (on recommendations from doctors, but also because of the clinic changing ingredients etc) I still suffer from really strong headaches! They are at the worst when I am on my week break, but I regularly get them while taking the pills too, probably 1 or 2 quite bad headaches a week. I am at the point where I want to come off of the pill completely! However I am really put off by other contraceptives, I do not want the implant with it lasting 3 years and I have tried the injection before while struggling with the pill, and my body reacted badly to it.

To cut a long story short, I have been with my boyfriend over 2 years, we are settled etc and I am training as a teacher. If I were to fall pregnant it would most definitely throw a spanner in the works, but it wouldn't be 'the worst thing'. Despite that, I'm not actively trying to get pregnant! If anyone could help, with recommendations for any other contraception or if anyone has experienced the same issue but managed to stay on the pill? I would be greatly appreciative!
    Just to be sure, have you tried all the available progesterone only pills? My migraines related to the pill stopped once i started that (my blood pressure goes up on combined pills so i'm not allowed to have them anyway after discovering that).

ReputationRep:
    I was scared of the negative side effects so I never tried the pill. Three weeks ago I got a copper IUD and I'm loving it. They say the most common side effects are heavier periods and painful cramps. I don't know (yet) if they are that bad, my first iud period is supposed to come in three days. But, so far I haven't had any problems I think it's great

ReputationRep:
    No, the only progesterone only pills I've tried made me bleed continuously for weeks on end, which was another problem in itself. Leading to me going back to having the pills with a 7 day break. I was on Levest from the doctors but in February it was more convenient for me to nip into the family planning clinic for my pill and they gave me Maexeni which apparently has the same ingredients. It's supposed to be low of both hormones but this is the one I'm currently taking andI'm still getting the headaches.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by aea27)
    No, the only progesterone only pills I've tried made me bleed continuously for weeks on end, which was another problem in itself. Leading to me going back to having the pills with a 7 day break. I was on Levest from the doctors but in February it was more convenient for me to nip into the family planning clinic for my pill and they gave me Maexeni which apparently has the same ingredients. It's supposed to be low of both hormones but this is the one I'm currently taking andI'm still getting the headaches.
    Maybe you need it look into getting a long term method like the coil instead as it sounds like your body reacts badly to most hormones.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.