The Student Room Group

Why do some people of Carribean desent use street slang?

I don't understand why a lot of people I meet of Caribbean descent use street talk like "fam, bruv, don, know/no/now, etc." My sister does it.

The last time I heard it was today, I overheard a brown skinned male talking to two other brown-skinned males about his girlfriend. He used a street term for sexual activates that I don't remember.

None of these words have ever exited my mouth. I would have to wash my mouth if any did...

Why do they do it?
It is because of their environment?
Cos we part of the mandem innit, we badman we f*** bumbaclots! :biggrin:
East london fams are mad badman, we don't care bruv.....
Original post by AutisticMew
I don't understand why a lot of people I meet of Caribbean descent use street talk like "fam, bruv, don, know/no/now, etc." My sister does it.

The last time I heard it was today, I overheard a brown skinned male talking to two other brown-skinned males about his girlfriend. He used a street term for sexual activates that I don't remember.

None of these words have ever exited my mouth. I would have to wash my mouth if any did...

Why do they do it?

Yo fam listen, ya donnoe about the streetz. Its their environment ting bruv innit.

On a serious note, it is simply the area someone grows up in as well as the people they hang around. I've seen people of all races speak like that, it's not reserved for those from the Caribbean. I went McDonald's yesterday and a group of white kids came in speaking like that.

Why do they use it?
Most likely because the people they hang around with speak like that.
Haven't you just answered your own question?

Environment, upbringing, culture. It's pretty simple, the answer is because they want to. I'm Carribean and I don't speak that way and I'm not any better than those who choose to. Often many speak that way because they're having fun, they're amongst friends. So why not?

In the area I grew up in, most spoke in slang, just for fun, not because they actually speak that way. And most of them were Asian. Why speak that way? Because they want to. It's not hard dude.
lol, you're just butthurt cos you white ppl dont have a culture
Reply 5
Original post by AutisticMew

Why do they do it?

It is a black ting.
:afro::afro:
Original post by M14B
It is a black ting.
:afro::afro:

And brown tyvm :gfight:

punani.
this makes me cringe
Reply 9
It's actually because a lot of slang derives from patois (Jamaican dialect) things like fam bloodclart etc are all commonly used in the Caribbean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XOR_

punani.

Loooooooooollllllllllllll
Original post by 6 iphone plus
lol, you're just butthurt cos you white ppl dont have a culture

I do not have beige skin. My skin colour is brown, like milk chocolate. I do have a culture, it's British.
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Cos we part of the mandem innit, we badman we f*** bumbaclots! :biggrin:
East london fams are mad badman, we don't care bruv.....

dunnoe fam
Threads like these pisses me off sometimes
Original post by toonervoustotalk
dunnoe fam

I more or less fully finished the f*ing thread....
See my f*ing alliteration, I'm a poet bruv! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Some white people, Asian people and Arabs also use street slang. It's not a race thing it is more of a youth subculture thing whereby a lot of young people have established a unique way of talking amongst themselves. The way in which you speak is dependant on the way in which people around you speak, so if a lot of young people use slang around your area you are more likely to use slang regardless of your race.

I am of Caribbean descent and I am capable of altering my idiolect based upon different social situations. In a more formal situation e.g. an interview I would aim to be much more articulate and avoid slang terms.But obviously, when manz on road wid his mandem and gyaldem man will chat however man wants to chat. I ain't on no formal ting then ya get me fam.

So don't judge anyone based on how they speak. How one speaks has no relation to one's character or intellectual ability. Around some of my friends I will sound like a "roadman", but when I, as a first year medic, speak to a patient I will ensure I sound more professional.
Slang has no real racial barriers, it does change depending on culture. But it is really annoying

Quick Reply

Latest