The Student Room Group

AQA AS Sociology Unit 1 & 2 OLD SPECIFICATION [RESITS]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
Do you think ethnicity will come up?

Chances of ethnicity coming up is very highly likely
If my predictions aren't right someone can kill me. Because this is how certain i am about my predictions right now lol.
BTW another thing, EVERYONE STAY POSITIVE, hopefully unis coming our way this year, but there are retakes for this exam ONE LAST TIME next year..
Methods in context ???
Im soooo nervous about this examm
Original post by mariaa17
If my predictions aren't right someone can kill me. Because this is how certain i am about my predictions right now lol.

What are your predictions?
new right will not come up as a 20 marker. It will not i repeat. I have been over every single past exam paper this does not exist its too short. New right is associated to social policy and that came up last year :smile:

What about functionalism?
Original post by xxvine
What about functionalism?

Ignore functionalism it came up in 2014. Your wasting your time going over that trust me. If a theory has to come up it would most likely be marxism
Ignore functionalism it came up in 2014. Your wasting your time going over that trust me. If a theory has to come up it would most likely be marxism

Yeah but don't you need functionalism to critercise Marxism?
You know ethnicity....how would you structure it? There are so many studies and we won't have time to write so much.... Like what would you include
Original post by xxvine
Yeah but don't you need functionalism to critercise Marxism?
You know ethnicity....how would you structure it? There are so many studies and we won't have time to write so much.... Like what would you include

Using material from item a and elsewhere,asses sociological explanations of ethnic differences in educational achievement (20 marks)- plan from my essay which scored 18/20

Intro- explain one on the reasons of differences in educational achievement i.e. cultural differences
Use statistics who does better and why?
Criticism, ethnicity is not the only factor affecting achievement

Para 1: Talk about cultural factors i.e. language differences in home
Use a case study
Criticism: Some people aren't affected by this... ethnicity which are still achieving regardless??

Para 2: A pupils family background
An example of an ethnicity how it affects education..?
Cricism: Asian families still achieving

Para 3: Different economic background
Ethnicity example of lower background and underachievement

Para 4: Interactionist sociologists- internal factors interaction = affects achievement
1.Curriculam- ethnocentric
For example....
Case study
2.Racism in schools
For example...
Case study

Para 5: Two reasons why theories can be criticised
1.Ethic differences not so important in producing such differences in achievement- indian student tend to do well rather than disadvantaged by it
2.They ignore other factos such as class and gender example of a gender difference between girls and boys which is ethnicity linked i.e. black girls/white working boys

Conclulsion: There are sociological explanations for differences in educational achievement HOWEVER, not all ethnic minorities underachieve.

Also to your question on don't you ned functionalism to critisie marxism, i only used functionalist in around one paragraph for my essays on marxism, so you don't really need in. In your criticisms you can use Willis, and then briefly say like the functionalist perspective on their opposing view (not really necessary to use case study) Most of the time people make the mistake of writing too much for criticisms for theories, when you can get away with shortly outlining it and scoring high marks!!!! hope this helped :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by harrymurphy23
What are your predictions?

Read above
Using material from item a and elsewhere,asses sociological explanations of ethnic differences in educational achievement (20 marks)- plan from my essay which scored 18/20

Intro- explain one on the reasons of differences in educational achievement i.e. cultural differences
Use statistics who does better and why?
Criticism, ethnicity is not the only factor affecting achievement

Para 1: Talk about cultural factors i.e. language differences in home
Use a case study
Criticism: Some people aren't affected by this... ethnicity which are still achieving regardless??

Para 2: A pupils family background
An example of an ethnicity how it affects education..?
Cricism: Asian families still achieving

Para 3: Different economic background
Ethnicity example of lower background and underachievement

Para 4: Interactionist sociologists- internal factors interaction = affects achievement
1.Curriculam- ethnocentric
For example....
Case study
2.Racism in schools
For example...
Case study

Para 5: Two reasons why theories can be criticised
1.Ethic differences not so important in producing such differences in achievement- indian student tend to do well rather than disadvantaged by it
2.They ignore other factos such as class and gender example of a gender difference between girls and boys which is ethnicity linked i.e. black girls/white working boys

Conclulsion: There are sociological explanations for differences in educational achievement HOWEVER, not all ethnic minorities underachieve.

Also to your question on don't you ned functionalism to critisie marxism, i only used functionalist in around one paragraph for my essays on marxism, so you don't really need in. In your criticisms you can use Willis, and then briefly say like the functionalist perspective on their opposing view (not really necessary to use case study) Most of the time people make the mistake of writing too much for criticisms for theories, when you can get away with shortly outlining it and scoring high marks!!!! hope this helped :smile:

Thanks a lot
I hope it doesn't come up though lol too much to write
I don't think it will come up because ethnicity has been asked quiet a bit for the shorter mark questions
I think it will be a theory because it hasn't come up in a while
Original post by xxvine
Thanks a lot
I hope it doesn't come up though lol too much to write
I don't think it will come up because ethnicity has been asked quiet a bit for the shorter mark questions
I think it will be a theory because it hasn't come up in a while

Mmmm mmm not sure tbh, I'm not being too closed minded coz i did that for families only learnt feminism + family patterns + briefly couples and was in a bit of a pickle... so yeah. Maybe just stick to whats best for you. How are u revising for methods in context? And what do u think will come up for the 12 marker?
Mmmm mmm not sure tbh, I'm not being too closed minded coz i did that for families only learnt feminism + family patterns + briefly couples and was in a bit of a pickle... so yeah. Maybe just stick to whats best for you. How are u revising for methods in context? And what do u think will come up for the 12 marker?

I have no idea
I hate methods tbh
I'm just reading my notes and looking at model answers. Just going to use PERVERT
I predict ethnicity, clss external/internal or MARXISM will come up. Ethnicity+ class being at the same level of highly likely and marxism maybe with gender very unlikely.. (FOR 20 MARKERS FOR EDUCATION). Learn these 3 topics thoroughly and EVERYONE will do good on the 20 marker for education.

how sure are you for this? :frown:

i've been ill and havent revised so i might just go over these topics. :frown:
Original post by grassntai

Oh good luck

Very sure. Trust me
Very sure. Trust me

Thank you that makes me feel better. I've been having panic attacks because of this exam and not having revised enough. Urgh I just want to get this over so I can focus on my A2 exams :frown:
Thank you that makes me feel better. I've been having panic attacks because of this exam and not having revised enough. Urgh I just want to get this over so I can focus on my A2 exams :frown:

Awww Dwwww its easy, you just gotta stick with it, go over it bare times in bed and thats it
Awww Dwwww its easy, you just gotta stick with it, go over it bare times in bed and thats it

What did you get last year

Quick Reply

Latest