Turn on thread page Beta

Queen Mary University - Dentistry (a-level subjects?) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am 2 weeks away from my GCSE's and I am choosing what subjects to do for a-levels in sixth form. I want to study Dentistry in Queen Mary University, so I chose Biology, Chemistry and Maths for a-levels. Is this ok? What grades do I need to achieve? Currently, my GCSE target grades are high:
    Biology is A,
    Chemistry is A
    Maths is A*

Also, anyone from Queen Mary, how is the uni life? What is it like to take Dentistry? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing to see that you've got it planned out so early! It's hard to choose something such early on, at least it was for me. It's interesting to see that you've also got Barts in mind as well so early!

Do the best you can for GCSE's, aim for the best you can. In terms of A level subjects, Biology, Chemistry and Maths seem fine. I'm not sure how the new A level system works but try to find out if you still need a fourth A level in AS year. Biology, Chemistry and Maths are a good pick though, it does help you to do all three together in my opinion. Also you'd have to get minimum grades of A's in A levels to get in to Barts for Dentistry so be sure to work hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susta1nz)
    It's amazing to see that you've got it planned out so early! It's hard to choose something such early on, at least it was for me. It's interesting to see that you've also got Barts in mind as well so early!

Do the best you can for GCSE's, aim for the best you can. In terms of A level subjects, Biology, Chemistry and Maths seem fine. I'm not sure how the new A level system works but try to find out if you still need a fourth A level in AS year. Biology, Chemistry and Maths are a good pick though, it does help you to do all three together in my opinion. Also you'd have to get minimum grades of A's in A levels to get in to Barts for Dentistry so be sure to work hard!
    Thanks for the reply! I really enjoy Biology and Chemistry! So interesting!

In the new A-levels, we have to do 3 a-levels (4 if you would like to). We do all the exams in the second year, instead of doing half in the first year and half in the second year. We are not allowed to drop any subjects either, unless anyone wants to do 2 subjects.

I chose my 3 subjects and handed in my application (Biology,Chemistry and Maths). I'll see what grades I get in August, and then I will decide what to do. Exams are in a week! Fingers crossed that everything will go great!!!

ReputationRep:
    Bio, Chem and Maths are the core ones. If you have an option for an AS you may want to take up something different like psychology or any other non science subject that you enjoy-just to show youre a well rounded person, but you don't have to. It's always good to start early! I am a QM student, and it is a brilliant uni, so great choice! DM is you have any questions, more than happy to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acidiczayn)
    Hi, I am 2 weeks away from my GCSE's and I am choosing what subjects to do for a-levels in sixth form. I want to study Dentistry in Queen Mary University, so I chose Biology, Chemistry and Maths for a-levels. Is this ok? What grades do I need to achieve? Currently, my GCSE target grades are high:
    Biology is A,
    Chemistry is A
    Maths is A*

Also, anyone from Queen Mary, how is the uni life? What is it like to take Dentistry? Thanks
    I'm studying maths chemistry and biology but got rejected from QM, I'm predicted 3As just remember that it's not just down to a levels many other things can help you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.