Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on secret pictures taken of me? My rights? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, cut a long story short, I have 2 jobs. 1 is 30hrs a week, the other is a weekend bar job.

I was ill and called in sick to my FT job on Thurs/Fri/Sat morning. I was then well enough to go to work on the bar Saturday night, before returning to my FT job on the sunday morning.

Basically, I have now had a meeting with my district manager as 'someone' had taken a picture of me working the saturday night and is trying to get me sacked. Considering I went into work Sunday morning, the fact I was at my second job is neither here nor there.

Now, I want to know what rights I have in finding out who took the picture? As my manager will not tell. But surely, i have a right?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you will get anywhere with this. If you can find out it was a colleague you could potentially complain, although now they have got in first it will look as if you're trying to get them back. You should focus on the fact that it is quite reasonable to wake up feeling too sick to go to work and by the evening be feeling much better.

ReputationRep:
    Bit cheeky that you called in sick Saturday morning, but then went to your other job Saturday night - I'd be annoyed if you were my employee. If you're ill in the morning, you're ill in the evening. It's just common sense (even if you're perfectly fit and healthy by then).

You Manager can't tell you who took the photo as it's classed as confidential and they have to be professional about it. Your 2nd job is in a public place too, so there may be times where you're in a shot. Does the photo clearly show you? (as in the camera was aimed at you specifically), or were you just caught in background?

Have they specifically told you that you're going to be sacked? I doubt this would escalate this quickly unless you've had a few warnings.

Your company should have a union where you can ask for legal advice and support or whistleblow service where you can anonymously complain about your manager.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by RRRRRonnie)
    Ok, cut a long story short, I have 2 jobs. 1 is 30hrs a week, the other is a weekend bar job.

I was ill and called in sick to my FT job on Thurs/Fri/Sat morning. I was then well enough to go to work on the bar Saturday night, before returning to my FT job on the sunday morning.

Basically, I have now had a meeting with my district manager as 'someone' had taken a picture of me working the saturday night and is trying to get me sacked. Considering I went into work Sunday morning, the fact I was at my second job is neither here nor there.

Now, I want to know what rights I have in finding out who took the picture? As my manager will not tell. But surely, i have a right?
    See: http://www.yourprivacy.co.uk/employeesurveillance.html

A photograph is considered personal data under the data protection act so you would be within your rights to ask for a copy of the photo concerned. If your boss takes disciplinary action then you should also be able to see the account given by whoever took or submitted the photo (but not to know who that was).

Unless you admitted it then your boss is unlikely to have any proof that the photo was taken on that particular night (not that going to work when you feel better should be a disciplinary matter).

You could try to escalate this. I would recommend instead asking to meet with your boss with a neutral party to explain
    A) that by using a photo taken outside of work like this has made you very uncomfortable
    B) that feeling as if your activity outside of work is being monitored in this way is not ideal and reduces the level of trust between you and your boss
    And
    C) that if your boss is unhappy about your level of sickness absence you would hope that in future they will come to you directly about it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.