Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you get cancer from somebody else? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I was in a charity shop a few days ago and man mentioned to the assistant he had lung cancer and was coughing. I might have inhaled some of his cough as the shop was quite small.

Since then my throat has been rough and have had a slight cough. I'm very concerned that one of the cancer cells has entered my throat or lung and I've caught it Ive also been feeling hot when I think about it. I've also had an itch on my back as well.

I'm scared to see my doctor incase they confirm my fears but then it might be a good idea to get preventative chemotherapy or radiotherapy as it was only a few days ago it might be quite curable.

I'm not very old there's a lot of things I want to do and I'm really concerned

Now I will be much more careful and have seen in the Far East why people often wear masks over their mouth. No wonder the Japanese live longer and there is less diseases there.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Placebo effect

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Catching cancer....wow. Course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -CarpeDiem-)
    Catching cancer....wow. Course not.
    But how does that explain the sore throat and cough, feeling hot and lightheaded I've had since then? I hope its a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    But how does that explain the sore throat and cough, feeling hot and lightheaded I've had since then? I hope its a coincidence.
    Surely this is a troll post, right?...you can't catch cancer. It's not contagious, if it were then trust me it would be a much larger scaled problem all throughout the Earth.

It's a complete coincidence, either that or as said above, a placebo effect. You think you can 'catch' cancer so you've started believing you feel sick. This time of year there are a lot of coughs and colds of all sorts going around.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Perhaps you are a hypochondriac. That is what you should be seeking medical advice for.

ReputationRep:
    he probably had a cold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -CarpeDiem-)
    Surely this is a troll post, right?...you can't catch cancer. It's not contagious, if it were then trust me it would be a much larger scaled problem all throughout the Earth.

It's a complete coincidence, either that or as said above, a placebo effect. You think you can 'catch' cancer so you've started believing you feel sick. This time of year there are a lot of coughs and colds of all sorts going around.
    Perhaps I'm thinking about it too much and imagining the worst case scenario or outcome. That's when I get hot and lightheaded and cough.

Maybe I just need to divert my mind to nicer thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I'm thinking about it too much and imagining the worst case scenario or outcome. That's when I get hot and lightheaded and cough.

Maybe I just need to divert my mind to nicer thoughts.
    Here's a nice thought; you DO NOT have lung cancer. It is medically impossible for cancer to be contagious and you are worrying about nothing.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.