Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Next year i'm studying the IB , in an international school full of loads of really intelligent asian students . My provisional HLs are Chemistry , Maths and Physics. I really wanna be able to do these but am scared that the lack of depth of GCSEs will make it a problem for me.

Can someone give me some advice on how to prepare for the jump between GCSEs and IB HL Sciences and maths please?

Thanks

George

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad)
    Next year i'm studying the IB , in an international school full of loads of really intelligent asian students . My provisional HLs are Chemistry , Maths and Physics. I really wanna be able to do these but am scared that the lack of depth of GCSEs will make it a problem for me.

Can someone give me some advice on how to prepare for the jump between GCSEs and IB HL Sciences and maths please?

Thanks

George

I took GCSEs before IB and you're right in thinking that there will be a step in quantity as well as depth of knowledge. You can't really prepare unless you want to read around the subjects you will be taking. The biggest step up will be the amount of coursework (IAs) which you will be given, not to mention the dreaded EE and TOK. Im currently doing my final exams in IB and if I could give you one piece of advice it would be to organise your time. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad)

Thanks

George
    Hey, i'm second year IB and i'm in the process of taking my final exams. I don't do any of your subjects at HL but it is a lot of workbut if you're dedicated and a hard, consistent worker then i'm sure u will be fine! There is a huge difference in level of depth between gcse and IB and in general the work load seriously steps up but if those are subjects u really enjoy then go for it

ReputationRep:
    Your HL's are difficult however I have friends who have done the exact same and gotten 7s so its doable.

Everyone I know (including myself) found the jump from GCSE to IB quite hard; but there is one way to adapt quickly and that is be pro-active. Don't wait for teachers to set homework (as there isnt much), go home and consolidate what you learnt in class; when revising do past papers to familiarize yourself with the style of IB exams, I say this because the biggest difference is that IB exam questions (especially for maths and science) are very abstract and require you to figure out what is being asked (i.e. what equation to be used). Doing past papers trains to decipher questions quickly.

Time management is key as well, you can go from no work to a flood of work within one school day.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.