Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, question about Student Finance Wales

Bit of a weird one. I did two terms in a university in 2012/13, dropped out.
    Went back to university in 2015/16, just completed my first year. Applied for second year funding back in March, just had to call them about an issue with some evidence and found out I have been refused funding because I already have a degree. The issue is that I don't have a degree yet! I certainly didn't manage to complete one in two terms, haha.

They advised me to write them a letter explaining that I do not hold a degree and try to have them reassess my application. I'm just really upset and worried that I won't be able to go on to second year now, does this generally take a long time to hear back? I sent a brief letter explaining the situation with next day signed for delivery so they should receive it tomorrow. I'm really just wondering when I should start chasing them up about it.

Surely if they thought I already have a degree I should have been denied funding for the first year? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

If anyone could put my mind at ease I would really appreciate it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    That's a bit odd. It's length of course + 1 - previous years study. They work backwards; so if you do a few years at uni and then drop out, they wouldn't fund the first year. That doesn't appear to be your case though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    That's a bit odd. It's length of course + 1 - previous years study. They work backwards; so if you do a few years at uni and then drop out, they wouldn't fund the first year. That doesn't appear to be your case though.
    Yeah it's really weird. I was approved for my first year of the new course no problem, you'd have thought it would have been flagged up then if it was an issue?

So far I have received two terms of funding for Warwick (my "false start" year) then one year towards my current degree, which is three years. That should be fine.

Really hoping they sort it quickly, the woman on the phone seemed to indicate that I SHOULD be entitled but must have ticked the wrong box somewhere Just getting myself worked up over it now haha.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Sobr hink toy have anything to worry about and sounds like a mistake on their part. You are allowed degree length +1, so that means you used your +1 year up, but they should be funding you for the whole of your degree. Obviously someone hasnt checked that you did not complete the other degree.

I wouldnt panic, just send them evidence that you didnt complete or a letter confirming this if you have no evidence.

Nothing to panic about. A letter from your previous uni admissions stating you left the course would be good proof that might speed things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Sobr hink toy have anything to worry about and sounds like a mistake on their part. You are allowed degree length +1, so that means you used your +1 year up, but they should be funding you for the whole of your degree. Obviously someone hasnt checked that you did not complete the other degree.

I wouldnt panic, just send them evidence that you didnt complete or a letter confirming this if you have no evidence.

Nothing to panic about. A letter from your previous uni admissions stating you left the course would be good proof that might speed things up.
    That is a fantastic idea, thank you! I'll contact them now and see if I can get a letter or something.

ReputationRep:
    Just updating this in case anyone else has this issue in future and finds this thread!
    I submitted a letter informing them that I do not hold a degree and asking them to reassess my application, I also followed 999tigger's advice and got a letter from my previous university confirming my start/end date and that I was not awarded a degree from them.

My application updated yesterday and my entitlement is as it should have been. If anyone else has this, don't panic! It's easily resolved

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.