Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel AS level Unit 3B: Chemistry Laboratory Skills I 10/05/2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been to the lab once during the entire year. I know absolutely nothing. How are you guys studying for it? Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Learn the tests and the most common reactions. Some organic and group 2 7 may help. But most importantly... past papers. I got a b in the mock but i want to get an a next week. When is your exam ? Mine is on tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ertzgrand)
    Learn the tests and the most common reactions. Some organic and group 2 7 may help. But most importantly... past papers. I got a b in the mock but i want to get an a next week. When is your exam ? Mine is on tuesday
    My problem is with the practicals, preparing organic compounds, titrations, salts etc. I haven't done a single experiment in my life lol. Mine is on Tuesday too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrify)
    My problem is with the practicals, preparing organic compounds, titrations, salts etc. I haven't done a single experiment in my life lol. Mine is on Tuesday too.
    Just go trough them in the book, honestly i don't remember any of the practicals i've done this year. As long as you are good at reasoning and confident with your calculations you should be ok.

Someone help me with the use of Potassium/Sodium Manganate and dichromate. When should I use each and what will be the results?

NOTICE ME SENPAII

ReputationRep:
    Senpai has noticed you!
    Well u see Mangnate is a strong oxidizing agent and we usually use it during the conversion of any alkene to a Di-Alcohol. In case of dichromate in our AS we use them in preparation of Ketone, Aldehydes (and carbooxylic acids as well) we use a milder oxidation agent(dichromate) so that the alcohol is not completely oxidized before we have the chance to distill it off. Hope it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daddydevil)
    Someone help me with the use of Potassium/Sodium Manganate and dichromate. When should I use each and what will be the results?

NOTICE ME SENPAII
    there are various uses of these
    potassium dichromate is used with dilute h2so4 to oxidise a primary alcohol to an aldehyde or a carboxylic acid and changes from orange (cr2o7)2- to green (Cr)3+
    potassium manganate is used to test for SO2 or an alkene and changes from purple to colorless in both cases

(Original post by -akuma-)
    senpai has noticed you!
    Well u see mangnate is a strong oxidizing agent and we usually use it during the conversion of any alkene to a di-alcohol. In case of dichromate in our as we use them in preparation of ketone, aldehydes (and carbooxylic acids as well) we use a milder oxidation agent(dichromate) so that the alcohol is not completely oxidized before we have the chance to distill it off. Hope it helps

posted from tsr mobile
    (Original post by raza1999)
    there are various uses of these
    potassium dichromate is used with dilute h2so4 to oxidise a primary alcohol to an aldehyde or a carboxylic acid and changes from orange (cr2o7)2- to green (cr)3+
    potassium manganate is used to test for so2 or an alkene and changes from purple to colorless in both cases
    you both. I labh u <3

ReputationRep:
    lol u dont need any! just focus on the pastpapers and memo the method.. i never took any lab class seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Akuma-)
    Senpai has noticed you!
    Well u see Mangnate is a strong oxidizing agent and we usually use it during the conversion of any alkene to a Di-Alcohol. In case of dichromate in our AS we use them in preparation of Ketone, Aldehydes (and carbooxylic acids as well) we use a milder oxidation agent(dichromate) so that the alcohol is not completely oxidized before we have the chance to distill it off. Hope it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks! and we always use h2so4 when oxidising.

ReputationRep:
    How did the paper go?
    What's a test for water vapour? -_-
    What reagent and conditions were needed for converting that halogenoalkane to an alkene?
    Did you get enthalpy change for CH3OH as somewhere around 400-ish?
    Enthalpy change from graph was -1800.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azefayuu)
    How did the paper go?
    What's a test for water vapour? -_-
    What reagent and conditions were needed for converting that halogenoalkane to an alkene?
    Did you get enthalpy change for CH3OH as somewhere around 400-ish?
    Enthalpy change from graph was -1800.
    Blue cobalt chloride paper turns pink
    Alcoholic KOH and reflux
    Yes
    No, it was around 1200-1250

My answers ^^

ReputationRep:
    Blue cobalt chloride paper turns pink
    Alcoholic KOH and reflux
    Yes
    No, it was around 1200-1250

My answers ^^
    Ayyyyyyy,same
    Hard paper, wasn't it ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omar5478)
    Ayyyyyyy,same
    Hard paper, wasn't it ??
    Decent & different.

ReputationRep:
    Decent & different.
    Agreed

What was the answer for the very last question? The one where we were asked to calculate the percentage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daddydevil)
    What was the answer for the very last question? The one where we were asked to calculate the percentage?
    I got 41 but I am pretty sure it is wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.