The Student Room Group

David Cameron: Donald Trump deserves respect

David Cameron has said he ā€œrespectsā€ the controversial presidential candidate Donald Trump for making it through the gruelling Republican primary process.

The prime minister refused to retract his claim, made when a Trump candidacy still seemed an unlikely prospect, that the billionaireā€™s proposal for banning Muslims from the US was ā€œstupid, divisive and wrongā€.

Cameronā€™s spokeswoman later said the prime minister respected Trump, ā€œpolitician to politicianā€, given the fierce state-by-state battle for party supportersā€™ votes that primary candidates must endure before they can win the right to fight for the presidency.

No 10 sources said Cameron would be willing to meet Trump, as he would any other presidential candidate who visited the UK and requested discussions. He met Mitt Romney, the Republicansā€™ last candidate, in 2012.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/05/david-cameron-donald-trump-deserves-respect

Scroll to see replies

Of course that's respectable. For anyone, let alone a businessman who has solely funded his own campaign, to make it through the primary is commendable.

It's okay to dislike Trump, but there's a difference between dislike and blind hatred. Also, if it is Hilary vs Trump, would you choose the compulsive lying psychopath?

Nah, I'd rather Trump.
Original post by Kyou
Of course that's respectable. For anyone, let alone a businessman who has solely funded his own campaign, to make it through the primary is commendable.

It's okay to dislike Trump, but there's a difference between dislike and blind hatred. Also, if it is Hilary vs Trump, would you choose the compulsive lying psychopath?

Nah, I'd rather Trump.

Sorry you say you don't want a compulsive lying psychopath but then say you'd rather have a compulsive lying psychopath.
Original post by Gwilym101
Sorry you say you don't want a compulsive lying psychopath but then say you'd rather have a compulsive lying psychopath.

I'd rather the slightly less lying psychopath. Hilary's private emails speak for themselves.
It's weird how America has gotten to the point where these two are even allowed to be in contention for president of the USA.
I don't se the problem with Trump, hee's never actually said anything bad.
Original post by MildredMalone
I don't se the problem with Trump, hee's never actually said anything bad.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
He needs a haircut way more tbh
Original post by HucktheForde
David Cameron has said he ā€œrespectsā€ the controversial presidential candidate Donald Trump for making it through the gruelling Republican primary process.

I do too
I mean irrespective of whether you think he's going to salvage the US or absolute destroy it, it's incredible what he has achieved, considering the party despise him, hounded him through the media, and he's never held office before. Combine this with the fact the GOP primary this cycle had the most candidates ever. I think I heard he's the first candidate to win the nomination without holding office since Dwight Eisenhower which is insane.

It's impressive.
Original post by MrDystopia
I mean irrespective of whether you think he's going to salvage the US or absolute destroy it, it's incredible what he has achieved, considering the party despise him, hounded him through the media, and he's never held office before. Combine this with the fact the GOP primary this cycle had the most candidates ever. I think I heard he's the first candidate to win the nomination without holding office since Dwight Eisenhower which is insane.

It's impressive.

I think he's quite fit to run a country, he has shown how easily he can deal with opposition there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be able to secure the deals. I expect him to run on precisely this logic.

I do think his ideals and populism very questionable though, a vulgar man I worry what anyone that full of himself would do in power, although I suspect this just a campaigning tool.
Reply 10
A part of me would like to think Trump is just proving himself right:

I love how you linked to Cameron's profile in the OP, as if we have no idea who he is :lol:
Original post by Kyou

Nah, I'd rather Trump.

I would also choose Trump. At least Trump does not change his opinions and views everywhere 2 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by HucktheForde

The prime minister refused to retract his claim, made when a Trump candidacy still seemed an unlikely prospect, that the billionaireā€™s proposal for banning Muslims from the US was ā€œstupid, divisive and wrongā€.

Cameronā€™s spokeswoman later said the prime minister respected Trump, ā€œpolitician to politicianā€, given the fierce state-by-state battle for party supportersā€™ votes that primary candidates must endure before they can win the right to fight for the presidency.

No 10 sources said Cameron would be willing to meet Trump, as he would any other presidential candidate who visited the UK and requested discussions. He met Mitt Romney, the Republicansā€™ last candidate, in 2012.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/05/david-cameron-donald-trump-deserves-respect

I respect trump considering he is up against all the media and establishment twisting as much **** as they can to tarnish him. If you think Corbyn has had it bad, trump has had 50x the beating and come out best
i would vote for literal dog **** rather than corrupt lying witch crooked shillary
Original post by KaminiZindagi
At least Trump does not change his opinions and views everywhere 2 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, was that a joke?
Original post by anarchism101
Sorry, was that a joke?

ever seen hillary record on various topics. she is pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muslim here. Would never vote for Trump but i would go to mars before i ever even considered voting for a corrupt woman like Hillary.
Donald J. Trump's a winner, unlike low energy David Cameron.

David Cameron should apologise to Donald J. Trump for his stupid remarks, and focus on improving the U.K. economy. The American people will decide who they want to elect not Mr. David Cameron.
Original post by KaminiZindagi
ever seen hillary record on various topics. she is pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't disagree, but the section I quoted was about Trump, not Hilary. Trump has jumped from position to position all over the shop, often making contradictory statements in the same speech. Hilary, like most bland generic politicians, generally simply tries to avoid explicitly committing too much to positions in the first place.

Quick Reply