Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i have to come up with what A levels i would like to pursue next year. I have chosen four that interest me, but i am just not sure. I have no idea what i want to do as a career, and im getting really stressed not knowing what i want to do and what A levels i should pick to go on to uni. I kinda of have an interest in medicine but i dont want to take biology, and everyone is pressuring me to pick and i just dont know what im going to do

ReputationRep:
    If your really unsure just pick subjects you like -thats what matters. If thinking about your future then pick general subjects -ones that will help in all careers. However if planning to do medicine I would take bio or chem as they are prettty essential

Try looking at University subject requirements for degrees that interest you and that you might want to.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be too pressured to pick - I'm sure over half the people at my school who chose their career plan have changed it a year later (including me)! Also, if you're interested in medicine it could be worth noting which universities actually require biology A level - most just require chemistry

Someone told me to do what subjects I enjoy most and I have never regretted taking those 3, however I chose physics as someone told me it would give me more options - however I find it very difficult as I don't enjoy it as much as any of my other subjects.

Good luck with which ever subjects you chose, I'm sure you'll enjoy them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a lot of sixth forms and colleges let you swap your subjects around quite early on in the year, so if you try a subject and it really isn't for you, there's always a way out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megan.Rose..)
    So i have to come up with what A levels i would like to pursue next year. I have chosen four that interest me, but i am just not sure. I have no idea what i want to do as a career, and im getting really stressed not knowing what i want to do and what A levels i should pick to go on to uni. I kinda of have an interest in medicine but i dont want to take biology, and everyone is pressuring me to pick and i just dont know what im going to do
    Don't worry too much about where your A-levels will take you. There is always a way to get to where you want to be, no matter what you have or haven't studied previously. When you say you might be interested in medicine, do you means pure medicine as in to become a doctor? Or something slightly lower down which is just as important a role but might not require such a high qualification?

An example: Medicine at Bristol asks for Chemistry and another lab-based science, so you could do Physics instead. Or something like Chemistry at Birmingham asks for Chemistry and a minimum GCSE grade B in maths.
    Something even less challenging like Pharmaceutical Sciences (which concentrates on the production and formulation of drugs) at Lincoln asks for Chemistry only.

Basically, you can still do a lot with just a Chemistry A-level and pretty much any other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megan.Rose..)
    Psychology or Health and Social Care could be alternate options if you didn't want Biology.

Choose subjects that you enjoy and that you want to pursue. Forget about University for now. You don't have to attend as soon as you finish 6th form, you can work and apply later on when you have an idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.